Chapter 7

"This place is gonna need a whole lotta work." the young man muttered, watching as the dust that had settled over the equipment was sent flying off when Campbell pulled off the patchy hospital sheet that covered it, unveiling the microphones, headsets, consoles and what not hidden underneath. They now stood coughing in a cloud of dust particles that spread across the entire room, almost suffocating them, had a cautious Campbell not popped a window open to let in air. "Tell me bout it!" he agreed, wiping his dirty hands off on the sides of his corduroy trousers, flapping his hands in front of his face to wave away dust particles flitting there and exhaling fresh air as he popped his head out, stretching his skinny neck out till he could breathe once more.
Of course, they didn't have to worry bout cleaning the place up all by themselves or about cleaning supplies. They were provided cleaning products, sponges and mops galore by the janitors there and the next day, Campbell brought along an extra hand who was more than eager to accompany her favorite teacher.
"Can I come with ya to yer place, Mr. B? Ya know, the hospital where ya run yer radio station? I could help out...not for extra credits, if that's what yer thinkin. I just wanna not feel useless for once in my life." Kris  enquired curiously, on his return to university, sulking as she sank back against a locker and into her saddening past memories once again. She couldn't shake em off, try as she might. She was waiting for him outside the teacher's lounge as usual, hugging her backpack close to her chest as he gathered the remainder of his things and hurriedly stuffed em into that boring leather briefcase before setting out, pressing it shut by sitting on it briefly (This odd technique of forcing it shut seemed to amuse her). He raised an eyebrow on hearing her, stopping what he was doing and setting the briefcase down at his feet.
"Oi! Yer not useless. Now, stop tellin yerself that....An' tell me how ya know bout my secret? I didn't even tell Principal Cohen bout it! So, how'd ya find out, eh? " he demanded to know after lovingly admonishing her for pitying herself.  "I know someone there. My brother...Jason, remember?" she replied, lighting up on hearing him address her as useful.
"Of course, him! Of course, he's yer brother!" Campbell exclaimed, slapping a palm against his temple for not catching on sooner. All the signs had been there- the way she'd described him, those eerily similar eyes filled with curiosity an' of course, Tourette's- the unfortunate disorder that the young man suffered from. "Aye. Now, quit dawdlin, Mr. B an' tell me I can tag along....pretty please?" she affirmed, before continuing to nudge him impatiently.  "I dunno....Dontcha have homework?" he asked, hesitant about letting her tag along. "I'll do it later. I'm a straight-A student, Mr. B, honest!" she replied, confidently. "I dunno....won't yer parents mind?" he asked, still hesitant about it. "Honestly, I'm not a lil tyke anymore, Mr. B! I'm turnin 18 next month. Bout time I lost that virginity too, eh?" she retorted, already displaying signs of self-independence, indicating that she considered herself as an all grown-up girl with a devil may care attitude. "It was too much info for my dad, too much info for me too, lass!  Believe me, I've had this exact argument with him before." Campbell hushed her quickly, flushing red and reeling from the shock of what he'd just heard the innocent girl blurt out, hoping that no-one else had heard her blurt out the topic of  losing her virginity, especially confiding with him about it in such a comfortable manner too. It reminded him of a private conversation he'd had with his dad when he was bout her age and his manic depression had been at its peak, about his plans for the future when he got out of St. Jude's.
"Does that mean I can come with?" she insisted, not bothered about who'd heard her and staring at him impatiently, drumming her fingers on the coarse fabric of her backpack as she spoke. "Alright, fine! It surprises me how ya can confide so much in a complete stranger like me." he finally agreed, now that he knew she wasn't one to back down. "Yer not a complete stranger. Yer Mr. B- the smartest, coolest, hippest teacher....nay, human bein I know! An' the funniest man on air, might I add!" she praised, with a twinkle in her eyes. "I hope ya aren't heapin all that praise on me to get extra credits, lass." he teased, blushing on hearing his student's praise. "Besides, no-one else listens to my ramblings so patiently...or even gives a shite bout me for that matter!" she continued, lowering her chin with her eyes staring hard at the clean white lino floor, ending their conversation on a solemn note, once again losing herself in her sad memories.