iii. plastic smiles & interrogations

Plastic Smiles & Interrogations

IT'D BEEN TWO days since I'd seen Revenant, as he called himself. Stupid name, if you ask me. It was Monday morning, but I wasn't paying a bit of attention to whatever my fourth period teacher was saying. I couldn't get my mind off of him. I couldn't stop wondering who he was, or why he picked my window—which he still had yet to pay for.

I was startled from my thoughts by a tap on my shoulder. My eyes lifted to see the familiar sandy blonde hair that stuck up everywhere in a crazy mess, coupled with eyes as dark as the deepest parts of the ocean. His nose was slightly crooked from the time he'd broken it in second grade on the playground and I'd laughed in his face.

Shrugging off the contact, I glared at my closest friend. "What?"

Heath threw his hands up in a placating manner, then dropped them quickly when he received a glare from the teacher. "No need to bite. I was just going to tell you that we're about to watch the news."

I shrugged, averting my eyes from his. "I don't much care for what's in the news."

His hand ran through his hair with a sigh as I ignored his efforts and doodled on the top of one of my notebook's empty pages. "They're talking about the Supers."

"You know I hate Supers." I had for years. Ever since I realized just how toxic they were to the Normies out there, I'd wanted nothing to do with them.

I winced as a hand smacked against the back of my head. I shot daggers at Heath with my eyes, who looked plenty pleased with himself at finally grabbing my attention. "Would you just pay attention for five seconds?"

I reluctantly closed my notebook and followed Heath's eyes to the small, boxed TV screen.

"A mysterious car crash last Thursday left known Super, Carter James, dead and his nineteen year old sister, Alyssa James, injured," the news woman started. She didn't even try to fake sympathy for the two, just smiled that plastic smile as she droned off the information. "Police don't yet know what exactly caused the accident that killed one of the siblings, along with so many others over the past few weeks."

I sent a curious glance to Heath, who shook his head. "Supers have been dying all over the place," he whispered. "They're being slaughtered."

"Such a tragedy," the other news caster said, "to be taken from their families at such a young age." He shook his head. "A terrible thing."

Before either of them had the chance to say anything else, the teacher shut off the TV. Several groans sounded across the room as people mentally prepared themselves to do whatever work was in store for us. Miss Smith laughed at their antics. "Yeah, yeah, I know it's terrible." She sat down her remote and grabbed a sheet of paper off of her desk. "But, I think you'll all enjoy this one. I want you all to take out a sheet of paper and try to write a news report, just like the news anchors read."

As she continued on about our first assignment of the day, I couldn't help but zone out. It was getting increasingly difficult to focus on anything besides my late night intruder. I wished I had some way to get ahold of him, but he'd never just hand me his phone number or tell me his address to come and ask him all the questions I wanted about who he was and why he needed me for whatever he was planning.

I held back a frustrated groan and rested my head hopelessly on my desk. Stupid Supers and their stupid secrets and stupid abilities. I could never escape them.

"Charity," Heath said quietly. I turned my head to look at him through my lashes and he grinned, showing off his perfect teeth. I envied them, but didn't want to go through the same two years of braces like he had. I'd end up prying them off within the first two months.

"Yes?" I asked in a huff. I just wanted to disappear from the realm of Supers and problems indefinitely.

"What's going on with you?"

I blinked. I'd completely forgotten to tell Heath about Revenant showing up in my bedroom last night. I took a deep breath, immediately ready to spill my guts, but released it just as quickly. I wasn't sure exactly why I decided not to tell Heath about what had happened yesterday, but I couldn't bring myself to open my mouth. Maybe it's because I knew his protective side would blow a fuse at the aspect of a possible murderer in my room, or maybe it was my own nagging mind telling me that nobody else was supposed to know Revenant had seen me.

I nearly slammed my head back onto the desk with a groan, but resisted. Instead, I shook my head and said, "I didn't get much sleep last night."

Heath nodded with a horrified expression. He knew I was certainly not a morning person. "I'm so sorry your mother has to deal with that."

I snorted. "She got a new job. She's sleeping in as long as she can before she has to start work in a few days."

I jumped as a long nail tapped on my desk. "Sit up, please," Miss Smith said.

I nodded and did as she asked before shifting my attention back to the sandy blonde. He waited for her to pass out of hearing range before he asked, "Where at?"

"For now?" I asked, disapproval clear in my expression. "A grocery store."

"Cop to clerk." He shook his head solemnly. "That sucks."

"No kidding," I muttered. After a moment of silence, I asked, "Are you still coming up tonight to study for the History project?"

Heath groaned loudly and slid down dramatically in his seat. "Do we have to?"

I laughed and smacked his arm. "Yes, we have to. I'm not failing this project because of you."

"Okay, okay." He grinned. "I'll walk home with you. Am I staying over?"

Before I had the chance to answer, a loud shh came in our direction from the front of the class. I winced and lowered my voice. "That's between you and Mom."

He shrugged, seemingly confident in his ability to get his way. "I'll convince her."