Chapter 14

“Recap”

   “Thank God you are here. Harry is in trouble. He went on a mission to take care of something. You don’t need to know what it is, but he was captured. I need you to go to this location.” He handed me a piece of paper with an address before he continued. “We got some intel about where they are holding him captured. He is most likely getting tortured as we speak. Everyone has a breaking point. Fortunately for us, Harry can take a lot. But we have to find him before he reaches his. You will be going in alone, but one of my other groups will be waiting close by to storm the building when you get him out of there. Harry is far too important to loose, don’t let him die, got it?”

   I gazed at the wrecked building Harry was allegedly held in. It looked completely abandoned — no guards, no cars, absolutely no one around from what I could see. What if it was a set up? How could Victor be certain the information he was given was actually valid? But there was still the possibility that he was in there, and that the security was just extremely lousy. There was only one way to find out; infiltrate the building. I scanned the map one last time — it was an exact copy of the building — according to the map there weren’t any security cameras, nor any electricity in the building for that matter. The building was divided into 3 separate parts. The basement, the main floor, and the upper floor. If he indeed was in there, he would most likely be in the basement. The building wasn’t exactly in a deserted area — there were people walking around on the street, some even lived in the building next to it. If he was on any of the other floors people would know. Because of the many holes in the walls you could easily see in. 

   As I headed towards the building, many people were giving me frightened looks. Probably because of the — not only one, but two — guns stuck into my leather belt. Friendly wasn’t exactly the way to describe it. But I wasn’t going for friendly, so why care about what they thought. I tried to cover the guns with my leather jacket, someone might call the police if they saw them. Focusing my attention on the battered construction, I approached the hole — which was likely to have been a door once. The afternoon sun illuminated the busted gray concrete room. The rooms atmosphere gave me an eerier feeling. Something had defiantly happened here. Everything just felt so erroneous, so gloomy. Not a single piece of furniture was occupying the hollow room, nothing but dust and concrete fragments. It was almost as if the construction never had been finished. The faint sound of an agonizing scream alerted me, and just as I was about to run to the door — leading to the basement — it  swung open. My breath got caught in my throat, but luckily I was quick to hide behind one of the demolished walls. It wasn’t an ideal place to hide, but it was all I had, and it was just enough to cover my whole body. Two brawny men came marching through the torn ligneous door. They were talking in hushed voices, but I managed to pick up what they were saying. They weren't speaking English but German. German was one of the languages I had managed to learn through the years of my service. But their low voices made it hard to understand. 

   “Er ist hart im Nehmen” If I remember correctly, it meant something like ‘he is a tough one.’

   “Ja, denkst du, es wird funktionieren?” The man’s thick accent made the words sound muffled, but I had managed to understand most of it. It doesn’t take a genius to put two and two together, so he most likely said; ‘yes, do you think it will work?’ What would work? If they were talking about Harry, the answer would most likely be a big fat ‘no.’ From    personal experience, I have come to learn that if Harry decides to do something — in this case, doesn’t decide to do something, which was giving them secret information — he wouldn’t give up until he got it. It can be extremely annoying, but in this case it was a blessing. I couldn’t hear the rest of their subdued conversation because by now they were completely out of sight. As a precaution I waited a few minutes before heading towards the door again. Even though I knew Harry was in an agonizing pain, it wouldn’t do him any good if I also was captured, so it would either wait while he was getting tortured; so I could make sure I didn’t get caught, or take a chance and go straight for the door. I have always seen myself as a risk taker. But the thing is that I know when to take them, and this was definitely not the time.