Chapter 28

Chapter 28

"It's that time again," Mrs. Bunker said at the start of the acting class. "Auditions for the one act plays."

Marisol raised her hand and once Mrs. Bunker called on her, she asked, "Can Preston and I do Detention this year? Because last year, I was unable to perform it."

I tried my best not to roll my eyes. Marisol only wanted to do the play with Preston just so she could kiss him in the end.

I had to admit, I was very glad she ended up losing her voice that day and I just so happened to remember the lines by watching rehearsals over and over again. And that play was what got Preston and I to start talking again.

"I'm sure if you audition for it, you'll get the lead," Mrs. Bunker. "However, Preston won't be able to perform it with you because I have a very strict rule of students playing the same role twice."

"Oh, darn it," Preston said sarcastically. "And here I was, really looking forward to doing Detention again with Marisol."

Marisol glared at Preston. "I hope you realize that I was the one who was able to prove to Mr. Looney that Milo lied, thus getting your suspension lifted."

"Thus is such a professional word," Preston said. "You don't have to use that in an every day sentence."

Mrs. Bunker sighed. "I swear, some of you don't know how to just listen to what I have to say and talk during class. I'm looking at you, Preston." Preston just shrugged before Mrs. Bunker continued. "Anyway, I hope to see some of you audition for the plays. We have a bunch of new plays coming up, and I know a lot of you will be fantastic at it. Viera and Preston, that scene you presented for the class is part of the play night. You should audition for it."

Preston and I looked at each other before looking back at the teacher. "You mean the one where we had to hate each other?" Preston asked.

Mrs. Bunker nodded. "Yes, that would be the one."

"No way," Preston said. "Never in a million years will we perform that one again."

"Yeah, we'd like to keep that in the past," I said. Even if we did really well on that scene, it was going to be way too hard to tell Preston, convincingly, that I hated him.

"But we would still love to audition for a one act play," Preston said. "Tell me, is there any other plays besides Detention that involves kissing?"

"I'm ignoring you now," Mrs. Bunker said before starting the actual lesson for the day.

I actually did want to perform in a one act play this year. Well, I did last year but that was basically me being an understudy. I never went through the rehearsal process, and it wasn't my name on the program.

If Preston and I were in a one act play together, that would be even better. I was really starting to like acting, but I was still a tiny bit in my shell and I would feel a lot more comfortable performing with him.

I know I was able to perform a song solo, but I felt like that was a tiny bit easier than performing a one act play without Preston. Forgetting lines in plays could mess up everyone's performance, not just yours.

Mrs. Bunker told us to get into groups of three or four for our upcoming project, so Preston and I got into a group with Kathy and Leland.

The project we were going to do were similar to last year's where we randomly got our characters, setting, and conflict and we had to put all three of those factors together to make a small one act play. However, that one was just in partners and since we were in our senior year, Mrs. Bunker wanted us to do it in a group this time to make it more challenging.

I honestly didn't think it was going to be too challenging because we would have more brains to think of ideas. Then again, it all depended on the types of characters we got.

Last year, Mrs. Bunker gave us two characters that were somewhat in the same category. Like, Preston and I got a werewolf and a fairy.

This year, we each had to draw a character and it might not be in the same character.

Our characters weren't.

Preston was a lawyer, I was a princess, Kathy was a soccer player, and Leland was a vampire.

"I feel personally attacked," Leland said once Mrs. Bunker walked away. "Is it because of my accent that I'm a vampire?"

"Don't be ridiculous, Leland," Kathy said. "First of all, you're the one who chose that piece of paper. And second, vampires have a Transylvanian accent, not a Russian accent."

"I still have an accent," Leland said.

"And I have a Canadian accent," Kathy pointed out. "What's your point?"

"I say we should just focus on creating the storyline because this seems to be a problem," Preston said. "How on earth are we going to create a play that takes place in a hospital with a forbidden love storyline?"

It did take us almost the whole class to think of something, but we soon had a rough plot. Leland would be a doctor at a hospital because he could stealthily drink some blood while he was on shift. Preston and I were going to be the one in a forbidden romance because I was a princess and my parents wanted me to marry a prince.

Kathy, Preston, and I would go to the doctor's office to each get checked out, but Preston and I both faked an injury just so we could see each other.

I didn't know if the play would work, but it was the best that we could do.