Midnight Darkness

The moon hung over head, lighting the way through the densely packed forest.  I could smell it, that coppery scent that hung heavily in the air consuming my senses.  He was in trouble, I had to hurry.  As I ran, my dress floated and billowed around me.  My heels crunched the dead leaves at my feet, making the other inhabitants of the forest strongly aware of my prescense.  The air was still.  Not a sound could be heard except for my breathing and footsteps.  Would I make it in time?  I did not know.  In the pitch black darkness I saw an end to the never ending trees.  The trees began to thin out revealing a meadow.  I stepped into the clearing and looked across.  There he sat panting heavily propped up against a tree.  The Prince, of the Light.  I hid in the shadows hesitating at the edge.  Blood gushed from his side soaking the fabric of his sparkling white shirt.  A spear layed in his hand covered with his blood.  The now empty wound oozed blood that dribbled down his side to the ground creating an ever expanding pool of crimson blood.  His black curling hair was drenched in sweat and his forest green eyes were desperate with agony.  He leaned his muscular body into itself to somehow stop the pain.

I could take it no longer.  He was in such agony.  I was running out of time for me and him.  I did not care nothing mattered more than him to me.  He was all I had left.  I raced across the ground nearly tripping over my dress. He was startled and his head shot up and looked with horror into my face.  He was afraid.  Of course, he did not know who I was when I looked like - this.  I know what he saw.  A young slim girl with slightly wavy hair as black as the sky with dead eyes.  They were black.  My eyes showed no emotion.  They were empty of everything.  Black intricate shadows framed my face and swirled around my body like someone traced my veins with black ink.  My long hair fell loose across my shoulder to my waist over my black  sleeveless ballgown.  But most of all he saw the signs.  My eyes and tattoos were the most terrifying.  They branded me as one of them.   One of his enemies.  I stood in that clearing, hesitant.  I put my hands out in front of me.  "Please," I pleaded quietly.  "Let me help you."  I stared earnestly into his eyes, hoping he would understand that I meant him no harm.  He was breathing heavily and looked dizzy from the blood loss.  The crimson fluid continued to pool around him.  I think somehow he understood, that I would not harm him.  He nodded once, painfully.  I kneeled down next to him and laid my hand on his stomach feeling where the dagger had entered his flesh.  It was bad.  Horrific even,  I could sense that it was much worse than I originally imagined.  The dagger had gone in so far damaging organs, opening essential arteries and veins.

Black tears oozed from the corner of my eyes leaving trails down my cheeks.  I think this frightened him even more than my sudden appearance.  He would have been taught very long ago that my race are heartless creatures evil, even.  I felt though, I felt so much sometimes it hurt.  I looked up at his face.  "This is too much for me to heal, without making a great sacrifice to your life span."  I said so quietly he had to lean closer to hear me.  " I can do something different though.  Please do not be startled and do not resist.  I mean you no harm.  I promise."  He hesitated and at last shook his head once.  I laid my hands on his wound.  He winced from the pain.  I felt deep within and closed me eyes.  Slowly, I started a chant in a long since dead language.  It was gutteral.  It flowed across the meadow.  My hair was lifted off my shoulders and swirled around my face.  The leaves on the ground rose, and flew in a circular formation above us into the night sky.  The light pulsed from my hands onto his wound as it slowly sealed.  I fell back with a scream.  He stood up immediately looking down at me with fear in his eyes. 

"What is it?"  He cried.  I layed on that could forest floor with black inky tears pouring down my cheeks.  My hand was pressed to my side.  His eyes looked at where my hand lay.  "Why?" He asked, his brows furrowing.  "Why would you do that for me?"  I had taken his wound and given it to myself.  he was no longer in danger, I was.  In the forest, branches and twigs were heard being broken under heavy feet.

"My King,"  They yelled.  I stared at the sky, the moon hanging low, lighting the meadow.  

I looked into his eyes.  "I am sorry."  I said.  "I wish I could tell you, even if I wanted to I could not.  It is midnight."  He looked questioningly at me.  He of course would not understand the curse of my kind.  The terror we experience, every night as payment. 

Black see through hands burst from the ground beneath my body.  They wraped their icy embrace around me and pulled me into the swirling darkness.

The last thing I saw and heard, was the realization in his eyes.  He cried out my name and reached longingly for me.  "Evelyn!"  He cried.   Then, I was gone.

Hi, this is just a teaser.  I'm not sure if I will pursue this idea.  If you like it please comment and vote!!  Thank you for reading!!

-M  :D