Kanraku - Ch. 3

I watched from my father's side as the barmaid poured him another cup of sake. Her eyes sparked with fear and her hands trembled just the slightest. My eyes stayed with her as she made her way around the table, waiting for everyone to settle into their assigned areas.

Not long after the entrance to our private room the door opened abruptly and in stepped Kumicho Kazuo Taoka, leader of the Yamaguchi-gumi. Everyone in the room scattered to make way and we all instantly bowed. I pulled my ninjato closer to my tensed body, knowing very well that wherever Kumicho travels, danger accompanies.

Kumicho began the meeting by a moment of silence for my sister and soon after a celebration for our victory. I can feel my body shake itself into an icebox as images of her flash in front of me. I can feel her strong and yet childish presence in the room. Her smile flashed before my eyes, I bit my lip as to not scream.

I felt a heavy hand on my shoulders; my body slowly releases itself from the warmth. I looked up to see the escort's eyes flash from me to my father. His lips twitched slightly into a smile. I let my lips set into a discomforting one as my brain racked for his name.

Kenji...that's right. Kenji, my father's right hand man; he's been with my father for seven years now. His loyalty has far exceeded any other man and only with my father is he loyal to. My father brought him into our household and raised him to be a skillful fighter and a knowledgeable man. I nodded awkwardly and continued to listen to Kumicho.