Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Boson Wells nodded and ran off to fulfill his duty.

Redgrave put his hands on Lord Fitton's shoulders, staring into his face, waiting for him to focus. "Who did this to you?"

"Press Gang. We were returning to the ship with Mr. Richards who met up with us as we approached the docks. But then a naval seaman tapped Richards on the shoulder and asked where we were headed. Mr. Richards said we had just arrived and that they were my servants. The seaman continued to ask more questions and would not be put off. He then gave a whistle causing several to appear out of nowhere and they grabbed Richards."

"Claremont?"

"I swore to them he was my valet, even that he was a mute, but they took him too. When I tried to stop them, two held me in check and the third nearly beat me down."

"This is not to be born. Mr. McCree should I for some reason I fail to return...the ship is yours."

"Captain, with all due respect let me..."

"NO! Those are my orders Mr. McCree, am I understood."

"Yes, Captain."

"See to it that the Professor here is well taken care of and if I do not return by first light tomorrow. Set sail without me." Angus hated this idea but he would obey his Captain.

_____________

Richards and Claremont struggled against their captors to no avail. They were dragged along the streets until they reached some random house and then were shoved inside.

They were brought before a Lieutenant, his rank obvious by his uniform. "So, from what ship do you hail?"

Richards looked at Claremont who looked terrified. "We do not hail from any ship, Sir. Your man grabbed us, we are servants of Lord Fitton."

The Lieutenant strode over to him and grabbed hold of his hands and examined them. Clara looked over to Richards and he looked nervous. His hands were rough and stained from the tar used to fix the ship.

"Well, you are both in my hands now, and I can assure you, you will be kept. So for your own sake, I strongly urge an account of the truth, for it will save us both time and ensure you better treatment."

Richards sighed; he knew it pointless to go with his charade. "We come from aboard the Whispering Wind. We sail to the West Indies. I am a ship's carpenter but please let the boy go. We have taken aboard Lord Fitton, a professor of botany and this boy is his servant. He is mute. He will be of no use to you."

The Lieutenant circled around Clara. Her heart felt like it was about to leap through her chest. This could not be happening. If she were taken, there would be no possible way to keep her gender hidden and then what would become of her. Even if she did manage somehow to fool them, she would be a prisoner on a warship. Either way, she prayed he would let her go.

He grabbed her hands. They had become rough from the work she had been doing aboard ship but they were still dainty for even a boy. The Lieutenant frowned. He summoned the man who first approached them. "Take them to the ship."

The seaman led them back the way they came and soon they found themselves aboard the HMS Voyager, a Confounder-class gun brig. It looked to be a 12-gunner. The crew appeared much smaller than that of the Whispering Wind.

They were led down into the great cabin, Clara looked into the room. It was filled with so many somber faces, a few she had recognized from their own ship.

When they entered every eye was drawn upon them. Several Officers stood behind tables covered in cloth scattered with papers to sign. The seaman left their side and spoke with one of them and then departed.

Richards put a hand on Clara's shoulder. "I know not what they intend with you lad, but stick close, I'll keep an eye on you." Clara moistened her dry lips and nodded.

She watched as each of the crew members of the Whispering Wind chose the same fate. Sign up and work with His Majesty's Navy or choose impressment. Each one chose impressment. Even Richard's.

He came before the examining officer.

"We have been told you are a Carpenter by trade?"

"Yes, sir."

"Have you been to sea before?"

"Yes."

"Are you willing to join the King's Service?"

"No, sir."

"Why?"

"I get much better wages on my merchant vessel, and our Captain is a fair and loyal man. I cannot imagine better treatment."

The officer appeared thoughtful for a moment. "Aboard ship, you would have a chance of prize money that should nearly be equivalent. Should you prove to be obedient and useful, I see no reason why you should fear mistreatment."

Richard's face set in a hard line.

"I give you one more chance. Will you join willingly? I give you fair warning, you are already aboard and will be kept either way. If you continue to refuse you will be considered a pressed man and treated accordingly."

Richards refused and with no more than a motion two men came forward and seized him to take him away.

It was Clara's turn next...Benjamin always said to keep a level head. You can out-think any opponent, free yourself from any situation. She took a deep breath and held it. She willed her body to calm in order to free her mind.

"I'm told you are Mute?"

Clara nodded.

"You're in deep now son. Your best bet is to sign on?"

Without hesitation, she took the pen and scrawled Benjamin Claremont.

"Good lad, head up on deck."

She watched as the marines had taken Mr. Richards to the Main hatchway, the words echoed in her ears. "All pressed men go below." The hatch was opened and he was thrown inside. There seemed to be about 20 men in the press room. They were prisoners; kidnapped and doomed to what fate she did not know but she did not plan on leaving this ship without them.