forty one

The days after our trip were uneventful. Perkins had given us the week between Christmas and New Years off, so we spent it mulling around London, shopping and trying restaurants. On New Years Eve, though, the London branch hosted a party and international members were welcome.

Harry had asked me the day we returned from Italy if I wanted to attend. At first I didn't, but when I began to think about all of the people in the company I hadn't yet met, I decided we should. I wanted to become acquainted.

When we were out shopping one day, I asked Harry what the attire of the party was.

"Should I wear a little black dress or go for a ball gown?" I had asked, peeking my head above a shopping rack.

"Are you asking me if it's black-tie or cocktail?" he said.

"Exactly."

"You're out of luck, Cinderella." he said. "It's cocktail."

"Oh, hush," I said. "I'll look hotter in a little black dress anyway."

I ended up going with a form-fitting black dress with gold embellishments along the front. I treated myself to a pair of black pointed-toe Louboutins, just because I felt like I had earned them. Harry scoffed when I told him this.

"Earned them how?" he said. "What have you done recently to earn this? We haven't worked in almost two weeks."

"I've had to deal with you." I said, lifting the bag off of the counter of the boutique. "That's work enough."

The night of the party, Harry got ready at his own flat to avoid fighting with me for the bathroom. I had a double vanity, but my makeup was sprawled across the entire counter. It was one of the few times he'd been to his flat since our trip; he'd practically moved into mine.

He burst into my bathroom around seven, just as I slipped an earring on. I looked at him in the mirror as he came behind me.

"I'm so fucking lucky." Harry whispered. His hands gripped my hips and he pulled me into him. I hummed a laugh and placed my hands atop his. I stared at our reflection and leaned into him.

"We look good." I whispered. "We make an attractive..." I hesitated.

"Couple?" he said.

I nodded. "Never quite know what to call us. After all, we are quite unique."

"What do you want to call us?" he said.

I shrugged. "I like being a couple. Am I your girlfriend, Harry?"

He laughed. "We're a bit past that, baby, don't you think?"

I smiled. "We never really said it outright though, except in front of my family."

He squeezed my hips and kissed the side of my head. "Then, as long as it's right with you, you're my girlfriend."

I scrunched my nose. "Feels like we're fucking teenagers."

"Does sound a bit immature, this conversation." he said, laughing. He squeezed my bum and stepped back. "You're my baby, then. And nobody fucks with my baby."

I laughed and turned around. He reached his out to me and I grabbed it. Then, together, we walked out of my bedroom.

We left my flat and got into his car downstairs. I played the music loud and he rolled his eyes at my singing, but he still smiled.