Chapter 34 ~ "One Step Closer"

Start from the beginning

Zayed tucked his hands in his pockets. "No, we can't. Particularly not this place." He replied.

"Why?"

"Because... this place is known to not be safe at night. I am sure you've heard about the myth of the weeping fig." He explained in exaggeration.

"There is no myth. You're making that up." She observed, not ready to believe him.

"Suit yourself. I hope you have a good night with..." He looked up at the tree, indicating that there were other types of creatures living in this tree. Zayed turned his back to her and began to walk away.

Mahra stood up in her seat. "You're lying." she disagreed.

"I designed this place I know what exists in here." He made known, walking further away.

After a moment of thought. "But I don't think very highly of you." She remembered him saying, that she thought very highly of the person who had designed this place.

"I think I can live with that." Zayed yelled from over his shoulder. And Mahra was sure she heard him snicker.

Without wasting another minute, she decided to follow, thinking to herself that there was a drastic change in his behavior throughout the whole day and for some odd reason that was relieving.

Monday

Mahra

A persistent and steady knocking on the door was what dragged me from my deep slumber and startled me right out of my profound dream. My eyes flipped open, in the middle of the night, as the knocks on the door became rougher and impatient. I found myself sitting up in bed in one swift movement and turned the nearby lamp on. I lifted up the covers and got out of bed, to open the banging door. Anxious and afraid, I unlocked the door and pulled it open. A blazing light, coming from the living room, poured into my eyes, making me blink several times, as I tried to adjust with the brightness.

My eyes fell upon my husband's brown ones. Standing in front of me, in the middle of the night, was a formally dressed Zayed, staring at me, uptight. I scowled and gave him a questioning look.

"Something's come up." Zayed declared, disturbed. With a single shake of his head, I noticed him take his gaze away from me, which paid as a reminder of what state I was in, wearing my pink capri pajamas and loose white shirt with tousled bed hair, as messy as ever. "I must go." At his serious tone my heart sank in my chest and I lost track of my earlier thoughts.

"Why?" I tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear and stepped out of the room, with a deep frown on my face. "What is it?" I interrogated, incomprehensively. His serious eyes looked at me now, as I stood close to him, anxious. "Go where?" Hundreds of dreadful thoughts, ran through my brain. I wished my fears would be unnecessary and hoped uncle Waleed was fine.

He turned his back to me, heading towards his room, as I followed close behind, heart in my throat. "It's Jassim." Zayed announced, voice indignant. "He's in the hospital."

A gasp escaped my lips, and a sudden terror took over me. "Hospital? What happened to him?" I asked, eyes wide.

My husband took his time before replying. "He's gotten in trouble with his friends and things got out of control." He informed, without glancing at me.

"Have you spoken to him? Is he alright?" I expressed my concern and paused as I got to the door that led to his room, knowing exactly where my limits were.

"He said he was fine when he called, claiming that he and his friend had minor injuries caused by a car accident," Zayed spoke, sounding distressed.