NINETEEN. COME AS YOU ARE

FROM: THE FATHER ONE

Rafe told me you're going on a retreat for the Stark grant you applied to. Sorry I couldn't see you off, have fun monkey!

Guilt would've suffocated Nora Mendes if she hadn't distracted herself enough to forget about her family all those miles away.

"Are we really in Tony Stark's private jet?" she asked, looking out one of the windows excitedly.

Natasha nodded, eyes not leaving the tablet she was fixated on. "One of them, yes."

Nora's eyes widened, head whipping around to stare at the older woman incredulously. "One of them? How many does he have?" the redhead didn't answer, prompting Nora to drop that topic of conversation and sit forward at her little desk. Natasha was halfway across the plane, very enwrapped with the technology in her hands. Thank god she had brought earphones, she was sure she wouldn't be able to handle the silence. Just as she reached for her bag, pulling out the pink wires, Natasha let the tablet down.

"So, you probably want more of an explanation." her tone sounded like she was so inconvenienced by the situation at hand, making Nora even more uncomfortable.

"Yeah, I would like that." she nodded, biting the inside of her lips.

Natasha nodded at the seat across from her, letting Nora know that she was going to have to be the one who moved. She did, settling in across from her. The younger of the two superheroes found herself even more nervous than she did at her house. Maybe it was because she was in a place she felt safe in, but here, where it was really was just the two of them, she finally felt the pressure of having someone so important and so frightening right in front of her. All she had to do was keep her cool, that wouldn't be so bad, right?

"Are you aware of the Sokovia Accords?" Natasha spoke quietly, even though they were the only two in this plane.

Nora nodded. "Kind of, they're trying to teach us in social studies, but I don't think our teachers know much about it themselves."

Natasha let out a sigh, obviously she realised she was going to have to explain at lot more than she was willing. "Okay, what do you know about them?"

"I know the government put them in place once they realised the damage caused by super villains and superheroes alike. I don't know the details, though."

"Well, you have the gist of what's going on. The government is planning on telling the Avengers where to go for their missions instead of the Avengers deciding for themselves."

The young Mendes frowned. "That's stupid. What if you guys need to go somewhere and they won't let you?"

"That's the problem, some of us don't agree with the conditions."

"Are you one of them?"

She paused, for long enough that Nora could tell it was a complicated subject. "I don't not agree with them, we've made some very public mistakes."