Chapter 1:New House, New Life

It was like any ordinary day for me, well except we were moving into my new home.  It was just my mom and I.

     Fifteen years ago when I was born my parents were divorced. My dad abused my mom. She eventually snapped.

     Our new home is in Texas. It was and old abandonned shack that looks like it could fall to our death in a matter of seconds. It was all we could afford.

     My mom used to be a 4th grade math teacher but she was laid off after she kept showing up to work covered in bruises.

     The moment I walked into that house I knew my life would change. I went into my room to start unpacking and then i heard a bang. It gave me quite a fright. I followed the noise into the attic. In order to get there I had to go through some dust webs. As I slowly opened the wooden attic door, it made a squeaking noise.

     "Hmmm, I wonder what made that banging noise?" I whispered quietly to myself.

     "Nikki!" my mother called, "What are you doing up there?"

     "Just exploring," I said as I walked down the creaking stairs.

     I went to my room to start unpacking again, when I heard the bang again. I decided to just ignore it. When I finished unpacking hours later I went to eat some dinner. It was macaroni and cheese, but it was delicious.

     I watched some TV then I went upstairs to get ready for bed. I didn't hear the noise anymore, so I was thankful.