Chapter Two(v2)

hey thanks for reading the second chapter hope you like it, and if you do I hope you let me know that(and criticism is always greatly appreciated) 

NOTE: the pic is a black and white of Jack. It was drawn by yours truly, so if you're wondering why it sux so much that's why XD I was having a lot of trouble with Jack's character at first, and it helps me to draw characters out, even if they're bad.

Chapter Two

The City of Yashu

Cedric dipped his mop into a bucket, grinning whilst repressing hysterical laughter, and spread water around the floor. The floor glimmered with wet water, washing away the dirty grim that had settled there. He smiled gleefully, unable to stop himself from expressing his joy. Rafe will have a nasty surprise later. He thought gleefully. Jack really was the perfect partner for mischief, even better than Emily. Unlike Emily, there was no-one constantly over Jack’s shoulder watching him, as the duke hadn’t the time for such nonsense. Nobody could ever believe that Jack was ever responsible for their pranks, and because Jack insisted that Cedric never left his sight, he couldn't be blamed either. Cedric danced around the kitchen, mopping up a bit of pudding that jumped from its plate. The constant rule-breaking made Rafe furious, as he was convinced the criminal was Cedric, and tried to break he and Jack apart, but the duke approved of the relationship and that protected it. Emily was even beginning to trust Jack a bit more, although she still expressed her concerns.  

The floor was now spotless. Cedric lifted the bucket, poured out its contents into the sink, and put the mop and bucket into a corner. Time to accompany Jack. He thought contently.  

"Are you in here Cedric?" the cook asked, ambling in.  

"Yes Cook."  

"Could you pick me up some potatoes? We just ran out and I want to make a stew tonight."  

Cedric groaned. "I went to the market yesterday."  

"I thought you liked getting out of the castle."  

Cedric shrugged in reply. Last time he went shopping the merchant seemed angry with him, his brows knitting together and his mouth forming a rock-hard line. Though he didn’t sat anything against Cedric, Cedric feared what would happen when the shopkeeper finally picked up the courage to express the rage he clearly felt. Not like he could blame him, because, after all, the castle received goods at a ridiculously cheap price, which lost the shopkeeper money. It was strange that the castle even demanded the goods at such a cheap price, as they had more money than all in the entire city, even the wealthiest gentleman. Then, at the same time, the people of the slums starved to death because they had to buy food at the normal price.   

The cook handed Cedric a few strips of paper money and a list. "Ah, could you get the things on this list as well?" Cedric's hand closed around the money in reluctant admittance.  

"Thank you Cedric."  

Cedric nodded while walking out the door. Through the halls Cedric spotted Emily, and even managed a waved before Katherine saw and shooed her back to work, scowling disapprovingly. Cedric kept his eyes on hers, as she stared at him with ugly turn in her mouth. Cedric nodded to her respectfully, hoping that the sign of respect would stop her from lecturing Emily about him, but the frown ceased to fade as Cedric past her. Only when Cedric's back was facing Katherine did he allow a smirk to cross his face. Katherine couldn't stand Cedric, for somehow she could sense his disrespectful nature. He continued on, unhindered, nodding once again to the various nobles that crossed his path, though they didn’t seem to notice him or pay him any mind. Cedric descended the stairs, and landed on the first floor of the castle.