Chapter 19

I'm completely out of ideas. She's not girly, but she's not a tomboy. I can't repeat something I've already done, but I can't think of anything else. This shit is giving me heart palpitations. I only have a few hours to come up with something good; something better than I've done so far. It seems almost impossible right now.

A light bulb goes off in my head.

I'm not the brightest person when it comes to girls. Okay, I'm not bright at all when it comes to girls, so I call the one person that I know who is.

*  *  * 

"I don't know what to do, Zayn," I say. "What type of shit do girls even like?"

"You think I know this stuff? I haven't had a real girlfriend in over two years and I like to keep it that way."

"She's not my girlfriend."

"She's a girl-friend, and it all ends up the same way. The girl causes a problem that the guy is left to deal with. This is why I don't settle down with a girl."

"That's still a completely different situation. What am I supposed to do?"

"Hey, you're lucky I'm even helping you. If you were someone else, I'd laugh in their face and say 'I told you so, mate.'"

"You're sweet. Now, what the fuck do I do?"

"Anything as good as you're looking for is expensive, and you're kind of broke."

"Just give me ideas, I don't even care about the money."

"Do something that you know she likes. Tell me you at least know that much about her."

"Well, I mean, she wants to go clubbing tonight so I said yes to that but-"

"You don't belong in a club."

"Wasn't my idea. She likes reading and music, I don't really know anything else."

"Then you're obviously not doing a very good job with this."

"Just forget it, I don't even know why I'm asking you."

"Good choice."

"You're no help. I'll see you on Monday."

I get up and walk out of Zayn's house. That was a complete waste of my time. It was now three AM, and I still had nothing.

By the time I got home, I still had nothing. By morning, I still had nothing, and now, I was kind of panicking. Maybe a little more than kind of. I'd been up all night, trying to come up with something. I even tried looking up places online, but I couldn't find anything.

It's 11:00 AM now, and Ariana is probably expecting me to call her in less than an hour. Either I had to figure something out fast, or go there with nothing. I was too busy worrying about the possibility of failing to focus on fixing the problem, so by 12:00, I still hadn't figured something out.

I waited a few more minutes for some possible inspiration, but nothing came to me. I sighed and just decided to call Ariana anyway. I didn't know what I was going to say, but I just went for it anyway.

As soon as I called her, it sent me straight to voicemail, which either meant that her phone was dead or just turned off. I shrugged it off and put my phone back on the nightstand. She probably turned off her phone on purpose so that I won't wake her up.

That thought started to seem unrealistic by 1:00; she still hasn't called me back. I try to call her again, but I get sent straight to voicemail. Something isn't right here. Is she ignoring me on purpose? Did I piss her off last night or is she having another breakdown? What if she....I can't even think that.