The Sorting//Chapter 9

Nico's POV

Finally, this agonizing trip was over. The train ride mostly contained of the couples snogging, Luna and Neville debating, and Ginny flirting with me. Lovely.

I have yet to tell Ginny that I'm gay, because I want to save that fact as long as I have too.

Anyway, the train finally stopped. I looked out the window. There was an amazing castle in the distance. I'm no child of Athena, but damn this castle was amazingly built. I've heard about it from when 'Mione would tell Annabeth, but wow. It is so much more amazing in real life.

I heard someone calling out for first years. I looked over and saw a half-giant. I winced, and hid near Hermione.

"Oh, you might want to go with Hagrid and the first years. You will cross the lake to get to Hogwarts." Ron suggested.

As soon as I heard them say lake, I decided not to go. Even though I would be able to cross, I haven't gotten over being sea sick. Also, the thought of a fifteen year old hanging out with a bunch of eleven year olds and half-giant was not quite appealing.

"I'm sure I'll be fine if I just stick with you guys. Technically, I'm not going to be a first year so I could say I thought it didn't apply to me." I decided.

They shrugged and got in their carriage. Since it only sits six, me and Luna decided to go sit in a different carriage. As I walked along, I saw the thestrals. They called out to me.
My lord. My lord. It is an honor to be in your presence. It is a pleasure to be of service. The thestrals called out.

I nodded at the thestrals, acknowledging them, but not drawing attention to myself. 

"You see them too." Luna said in her normal voice, slightly saddened.

"They are under my control. I am their lord. And yes, I can see them." I responded absentmindedly.

Luna's eyes widened, but she quickly regained her composure. We quickly made our way to an empty carriage, and we were on our way.

"So, what's Hogwarts like?" I asked, trying to break the silence.

"It is really great! It is nice being able to stay in Britain. I'm really happy that all of us demigods at Hogwarts got to miss the war, but I'm sad we couldn't help. Hogwarts is very helpful, but they do give a lot of homework. I don't know how much knowledge Lady Hecate gave you, but you should be fine. One thing to know is that we have never had a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher for more than a year. And you should probably try not to shadow travel a lot, or raise the dead. They consider that 'dark' magic, and might get you imprisoned." Luna remarked.

"Okay, to recap, no death magic, one Defense teacher per year, and Hogwarts is awesome." I recounted.

"Pretty much." Luna agreed.

The ride turned silent as Luna fell asleep. I was very excited for Hogwarts, but I was still a bit wary about whatever Al's favor would be. I guess I'll find out soon.

-------------------------------------------------------

We finally reached the castle. I woke up Luna and we exited the cabin. As we were about to walk into the castle, I was stopped by Hagrid.
"Ye mus' be the exchange studen'. Come with me." Hagrid said gruffly, steering him towards the first years.

"Now, why didn' ye come ove' wit' the firs' years?" Hagrid questioned.

"I have sea sickness and I didn't feel like hanging out with eleven year olds." I responded coolly.

He grunted, and walked me inside to where the first years were waiting. I was a bit nervous, but I wasn't about to show it. It was obvious I didn't belong, even though I was short, I was still a good half foot taller than them.

Eventually, a familiar looking professor came out to explain everything.

Minerva McGonagall. Daughter of Athena. How many demigods are in this place?

Anyway, thanks to Hecate I already knew about the Sorting Process and whatnot. I glanced around, wanting to walk around and explore instead of staying still. I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw Minerva glancing at me as she explained.

Soon enough, she sent the first years in. I went to follow, but was stopped.

"Nico! I didn't know you were coming! Anyways, you are going to be last to be Sorted, so I figured I would keep you out here for a little bit. I can only stay for a minute. When you hear yourself announced, walk in through those doors. Until then, feel free to play on your phone. But, no earphones so you can hear your name. Got to go, I'll catch up with you later." Minerva quickly explained, before rushing into the Great Hall.

Sighing, I pulled out my phone and started reading. Contrary to popular belief, I do like to read. Being dyslexic just means I have to translate everything to either Greek or Latin. After about an hour, I heard the people quiet down.

"Now, I am pleased to announce that this year, we will be accepting a transfer student for Ilvermorny. Please welcome Nico di Angelo!" Al announced.

Deciding to be a drama queen, I made the room darken and I slammed open the door. Everyone turned to stare at me as I confidently walked toward the Sorting Hat. Minerva rolled her eyes and smiled at me and my entrance. Only the demigods seemed unaffected, and it looked like it took all of Al's willpower to not yell out DRAMA QUEEN. The wizards were all looking a bit scared, and were whispering.

Pleased with my entrance, I walked up to the Sorting Hat. I sat down on the stool and felt Minerva placed the Hat on my head. I suddenly couldn't see, and squirmed in my seat.

Well, look what we have here. A demigod. A son of Hades. It's been a while since I've had a new demigod. What, 6 years?

I was slightly shocked by a Hat talking to me in my head, but I quickly got over it.

Are you going to sort me or not?

I have to look through your memories.

Immediately, I had my mental walls up and strengthened.

Hey kid, I know you've definitely been through a lot, being a son of Hades and all. I don't want to judge you based on your father, so I need to see your memories, okay?

Fine, but you won't like what you see.

I dropped my wards and memories began flooding out. Bianca. Percy. Tartarus. The Underworld. Hades. Titan War. Giant War.

"GET ME OFF THIS KIDS HEAD! HOW ON EARTH ARE YOU STILL SANE! TWO WARS! YOUR MEMORIES ARE WORSE THAN ANYONE I'VE EVERE SORTED. YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH MORE THAN EVERYONE IN THIS HALL COMBINED!" The Hat screamed.

"I warned you." Was all I said as the shrieking Hat was lifted from my head.

"So, what house am I in?" I asked, still a little shaken from those memories being brought up.

"You could be in any house, well except Hufflepuff. Loyalty is not your strong suit. However, you are very ambitious, extremely intelligent, and terribly brave." The Hat paused.

"So, what house?" I asked again, a little more impatient.

"You must decide, as you are Unsortable. I would recommend Gryffindor for your tremendous bravery, but it is completely your choice. Choose wisely." The Hat finished.

"Well, Mr. di Angelo, what do you choose?" Al inquired, the famous Hecate twinkle in his eye.

I pondered the scenario. On the one hand, I could be in Slytherin with my brother, but I would be held to prejudice. On a different hand, I could be in Ravenclaw with my favorite daughter of Apollo. Finally, I could be in Gryffindor with Neville and Hermione, and have an easier time protecting Harry. I knew what I needed to do.

"Well, the Hat did recommend this one. Gryffindor." I answered authoritatively.

The scarlet and gold table erupted in cheers. I went to walk over, but was stopped.

"Not so fast, Mr. di Angelo. "

A/N: Hey guys! I missed it, but thanks for 500 reads! Now, I have 600 reads! You guys are so awesome and I love everyone who keeps reading. Also, special thanks to @Phanseyelash123 and @evieisapinkunicorn for your awesome comments. Make sure to vote and/or comment if you enjoyed.
Peace out
-Ashe