Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Rosemary's P.O.V.

September 28, 2013

When I heard the gunshot, the first thing I thought of was my kids. Chris and Jasmine were beside me, but Audrey was upstairs. I thought of what to do next. If the shooter is still in the house, then they are in danger. So I quickly hid Chris and Jasmine in a storage closet that we don't use much. Chris, being the big, protective brother, held Jasmine and kept her quiet, while I went to call the police, check on Audrey, and my husband. The thought of my husband made me stop again. Where is he? Instead of checking on Aubrey, I went into the living room to find my husband slumped on the couch with blood staining the upholstery.

Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. No. This cannot be happening. As I took in the scene before me, I realized I was not alone with my husband. There was another man in the house. When I screamed, he raised the gun he was holding and pulled the trigger, missing my heart because I turned my body. Instead he hit my arm. The pain was the worst I have ever experienced. I whimpered, but made my way over to the couch and Brian, my husband.

Brian still had a pulse, and as if feeling my presence, opened his eyes. His dark brown hair was ruffled, and his eyes matched his hair perfectly, aside from the glazed look spreading over them. I knew he wasn't going to live much longer, if he was even still alive. When he moaned, I knew he was still alive. Then he whispered something in my ear, just as the police and paramedics pulled up, and bounded into the house.

Soon after Brian said the words that would puzzle me long after, his breathing stopped, and his heart ceased to beat. I didn't realize that the paramedics were putting us on separate stretchers, and my kids came in the room to see the most horrible nightmare, that becomes reality. I yell for Aubrey and hear her running down the stairs. Aubrey is the last to come down, and after seeing the room, falls to the floor unconscious.

Paramedics rush to her side, and begin to ask Chris and I any kind of question you can imagine. Aubrey and I are put in an ambulance, and we drive to the hospital. My thoughts are centered on Brian's words to me. They confused me, and my head began to ache. I must have said this out loud, because a lady that was accompanying us in the back of the ambulance smiles at me and puts a needle in my arm. I slowly fall into a deep slumber, filled with nightmares of loosing my wonderful husband.