7. LONELY DINNER

SO FAR, despite him officially calling her family, this meddling wasn't helping Edward and Selina's relationship. But despite seeing this more and more, Selina was still refusing to give up hope. She thought she was doing the right thing. What's wrong with wanting your brother-in-crime to be happy? 

When she returned she snuck in through the window, hoping to avoid him. She already knew he wasn't happy with her. She knew she wouldn't be either, if she were him. Yet, again, he was already ahead of her.

"I made soup." Selina paused. She raised a eyebrow. 

"...What kind of soup?" 

"Tortilla." this was a unpredictable move to Selina. Tortilla soup wasn't her favorite, but it wasn't her least favorite. She could usually foresee how he was feeling towards her by what he had cooked for her. 

"...So you're not mad at me?" he chuckled quietly.

"Not mad." he looked to her, bringing the two bowls of soup to the table. "Just slightly infuriated." Selina sighed.

"Look, I'm sorry I brought Oswald over here. I should've warned you. But I know something is unresolved between you two and I'm just trying to help." he looked to her, a somewhat grim look on his face.

"Selina, I appreciate this. I appreciate what you're trying to do, even though I don't quite understand why you want to. However, I'm asking you politely to stop." he spoke while setting up the table for dinner. She folded her arms. 

"What if you could fix things?" 

"We can't." Selina laughed in disgust.

"Yes, yes you can! You can't even see how easy it would be, you're just blinded by pride!" 

"I'm not blinded by anything. You don't know what you're talking about. There's two sides to every story." 

"You are a hypocrite, Edward. And you can't see that, because you are sick." Edward froze. He looked at her slowly. Selina could already see that she said the wrong thing, but felt she was unable to take it back now. 

"What did you just say to me?" Selina began to take several steps towards him. 

"You fell in love. The person you fell for, fell for somebody else. Somebody who was bad for them. Somebody who was hurting the person you loved most. So, you killed them. And in return, your love betrayed you." she stopped in front of him. Their faces were only inches apart. "Penguin fell for you. Then you fell for Isabella, something Penguin could clearly see would end badly for you."

"There was no way of him being able to see that. Isabella was perfect, I could've been happy. He killed her for his own selfish reasons." 

"And you can't say you killed Tom for your own selfish reasons? I bet you didn't even kill him because he was abusing Kringle. I bet you killed him...because you were jealous. Just like Penguin was. And what do you do? Instead of empathizing? You betray him. Hurting people hurt people, huh?" 

"What was I supposed to do?" Edward began to speak through his teeth. Selina wasn't phased. 

"You were supposed to understand. You've done this before." Edward was quiet. She began to back away. She began to see that she was being maybe too harsh. But it wasn't like Edward didn't deserve it. She sighed again and shook her head.

"I'm sorry, but you're the only thing I can save. Everything else in my life is tainted. I couldn't save Bridget, I couldn't save Ivy...if there's a remote chance I could save you, I'm going to." Edward was still silent. She put her hand on his arm. "Will you at least apologize to him? Maybe we could have him over for dinner...it wouldn't have to be too long." after several moments of him still not speaking, she made her final and best argument.

"He misses you." he glanced at her anxiously. He exhaled, then spoke.

"If you can get him over here." Selina grinned. She was making progress. She quickly threw her arms around him. 

"Thanks Eddie." he smiled slightly, giving her a pat on the back.

"You're welcome." she pulled away and grinned.

"I gotta go. There's plans to make." but as she turned around, Edward stopped her.

"Hey, wait, wait, wait." she paused.

"Yes?" she looked to him as he sighed.

"Eat your soup. I don't cook for the ghosts."