13 - epilogue

Promise-

Noun
A declaration or assurance that one will do a particular thing or that a particular thing will happen.

Verb
Assure someone that one will definitely do, give, or arrange something; undertake or declare something will happen

Some synonyms include pledge, assurance, vow, guarantee, oath, bond, commitment. The list goes on and on, but it doesn't matter.

Antonyms: break, renege, revoke.

Renege-

Verb
Go back on a promise, undertaking, or contract.

He made a lot of promises before all this happened. Before we thought we had finally won. Before he left me.

The room is dull, the curtains drawn. Everything is quiet. The only noise being my own unsteady breathing. No beeping of a machine announcing a steady heart rate of the person laying in the bed. No movement of a body against the mattress. No other breathing than my own.

Nothing.

I haven't allowed them to take him away yet. I don't want them to. I want to be with him. I don't want him to actually be gone.

He's not gone. I refuse to believe it. He's still here. Laying in the bed in front of me.

His hair blends into the white pillow. His skin blends into the sheets. But he's here. And that's all that matters.

He promised me he would tell me more stories. He promised he would help me get better. He promised we would be happy after all of this.

None of those are going to happen now.

I'll be left on my own to remember. I'll need to keep reliving the past over and over as each memory comes back to me.

And each time I remember him, I'll remember his death. How I held him in my arms, and wasn't able to help him. How I watched him die.

"I love you."

His last words. His last words were about me. It's the first time I remember hearing him say it, and it's the last time I ever will.

I looked into his eyes for the last time. Heard him speak for the last time. Felt his pulse for the last time. Touched him for the last time.

I had the possibility to save him, the same way I could have saved Ryan. And now they're both gone.

What's even the point of having my power if I can't save people?

And now I can injure too. Does that make it better? Or does it make it worse?

I'm scared of myself, that's all I know.

I was able to hurt people without even knowing what I was doing. Just my touch was hurtful. Burning.

Who am I anymore? What am I?

All I know, is that I lost the person that meant the most to me. Again.

I don't dare touch him. I don't want to feel how cold he is. How limp his hands are. If I don't touch him, I can pretend he's asleep. Pretend that he'll wake up in the morning and we can go out for breakfast before coming back to the facility. I could finally get him to watch my favorite movies and he could make fun of how slow I am at making popcorn or putting the disc in the DVD player.

We could train together, compete to see who's better with combat. Of course I would be worse but he would let me win sometimes so I could make fun of him. And so that I would smile.

Smile.

I don't know how I'll get myself to smile anymore. My heart isn't even in my chest. It shattered into a million pieces after the boy laying in front of me fell to the ground.