6th year - Part 1

Birth of Hell•{Hogwarts - 1943/44}

Birth of Hell

{Hogwarts - 1943/44}

His long fingers ran carefully over the smooth wooden surface, dragging along the edge as he walked around towards the front of the large object. His face was solemn, void of all emotion though his dark eyes held a softness which was a rare sight. For the eyes tell all of the soul truly within. Unfortunately not a person was in sight to catch the rare phenomenon.

Tom slightly bit the inside of his cheek, seemingly in deep thought as his hand drifted down to the fallboard tracing the surface once more before making his final decision. Both of his hands found the two knobs, lifting up to let the board slide to the back revealing something he had not seen since the age of nine. His breathing began to quicken, eyes darting over the simplicity of something that could create beauty without the need of magic.

Growing up in Wool's Orphanage since infancy, Tom had been visited by several families. None seemed to understand Tom, thinking the boy was strange and untrustworthy. Most families left within the first thirty minutes of interviewing, except for one. A young couple who had been married just four months before had an interest in Tom. They had explained to Miss Cole that they had troubles getting pregnant and were afraid they would never bear a child. They realized during their prayers at night that there were children who did not have parents, older children who had to grow up in an orphanage during their infant and toddler years, children like Tom. At first, Miss Cole had them meet the younger children first then ended with the older ones. Tom was first on the second list at the tender age of nine.

"You're a handsome young lad aren't ya?" The man had complemented Tom, sitting in a chair across from Tom who sat upon his bed. His legs were still too short for his feet to touch the floor, so they instead swayed back and forth in nervousness. The man sat tall and confident, no older than the age of twenty-four. He wore a nice grey suit with a long tan trench coat over it. His short blonde hair slicked back and his black shoes polished. The man had a moustache upon his upper-lip that had a twist on both ends, it almost made Tom want to laugh it made the man look odd.

"What is your name son?" The man's wife smiled sweetly at Tom making his attention go to her. She wore a nice army green dress with black patterns that swirled across the bottom. Her brown hair was mostly hidden underneath her matching hat with a pink rose pinned to the side. Tom noted that she wore too much lipstick that it nearly dripped off her lips whenever she spoke. He stared at the couple who smiled at him, they seemed happy to be talking to young Tom unlike his other visitors. The others held judgments against Tom because of their knowledge of what kind of child he was at the orphanage. Miss Cole always warned the visitors about his behavioral problems.

"My name's Tom, Miss." He had replied in a small voice trying not to allow the hope he felt show on his face. The couple looked to be wealthy, a sign of a good life for Tom had they decided to adopt him. He wanted to get on his knees, beg at their feet to take him away from the wretched place he was forced to call home. He was tired of the children who bothered him daily, of the matrons who gave him the belt with the large buckle every week, and the horrid food with strands of hair inside the mashed potatoes. "Miss Cole told me to talk about my drawings..." His voice trailed off.