Chapter 6: Schizophrenia

Xander's POV:

"You didn't contact my parents, did you?" I ask Sam.

"Of course I did." Sam replies.

I roll my eyes at this. I guess he was supposed to, considering they're the Alpha and Luna, but I hate that I probably ruined their trip.

"They'll be home in a few days. It's the earliest flight they could get." He continues to inform me.

I groan and pull out my phone that had fortunately been recovered from my abandoned car.

'Xander?'

"Hey Mom."

I must be on speaker because my dad asks, 'Are you alright?'

"Yeah guys, I'm fine." I continue to explain the entire situation just as I did the pack and Sam.

'After everything we did for that boy- I can't believe he did that!' My mom growls through the phone.

"I know Mom, I know... look, I'm handling it, okay? Just stay and enjoy your trip." I try to persuade her.

'No, Xander, we're coming home.' She states, and I can tell by her tone, her decision is final.

I let out a sigh, "I'm sorry about the trip."

'Forget it Xander, it's not your fault.' My dad replies.

I just shake my head and tell her, "I've got to go Mom, Dad, I need to get back to my dorm and finish up some things here. Love you guys."

'We love you too.'

I set my phone down on the office desk and lean back in the chair. I'm at the a pack house, but it's not the one near Soulan's home. It's a smaller one that was built here near campus for Sam and I's safety since we're a good ways from home for longs periods of time. Our Third in Command runs this place and a few warriors live here with their families. I'm heading back to the dorms later with Sam. The Dean of the school is a friend of my dads, so he usually lets us off for anything pack related; it's catching up in class that's a pain.

I look over the desk at Sam and note his lost look as he stares at his folded hands, hunched over in the chair, quiet.

"You're upset." I tell him.

He looks up at me, but quickly tries to cover it up, "No I'm not."

"Oh shove it, Sam." I roll my eyes, my words dripping irritation, but it's not directed towards him.

He must have thought it was, though, because he purses his lips and leans his head back down again.

"I'm sorry Sam, I'm just.. stressed. What's wrong?" I ask, trying to wipe away my toxic attitude.

"You never told me about all of this, about Seran, and Soren." He looks up at me, waiting for an explanation, and I don't think I have one.

"It never mattered until now." I shrug.

He nods, but he doesn't buy it.

"Sam-" I hesitate, "all it does is dig up bad memories for me. I just stopped with the nightmares a few years ago, and now they're coming back. It was never worth talking about and getting upset over. All of the guilt, the responsibility I felt... I just wanted to forget everything. I'm sorry I never told you."

He nods his head again, this time a little more confident, and I'm satisfied.

"Is it too early to say I told you so?" Sam asks after a few moments of science, back to his normal self, a smile forming on his face.