May 4

"These are the nights and the lights that we fade in,

These are the words but their words aren't coming out,

They burn cause they are hard to say,

For every filling sun,

There's a morning after,

Though I'm empty when you go,

I just wanted you to know,

That the world is ugly,

But you're beautiful to me,

Are you thinking of me?" The World Is Ugly- My Chemical Romance

Calum squeezed Michael's hand so tight it hurt, but Michael didn't mind. This was the kind of time when it was okay. He could forgive the Kiwi boy, after all, he just watched two of his best friends being lowered into an earth they will never emerge from.

Calum wiped the lone tear that streaked his cheek, promising himself not to cry. Not again. He'd shed too many tears already.

Upon finding Luke, white as a sheet and cold as a freezer, Calum had shed too many tears. They wouldn't stop flooding from his chocolate eyes and he feared they never would. Luke's chilling fingers clutched two books, two leather bound books that looked as if they were around when the Earth formed. With a shaky hand, he pried the journals from the younger boy's dead hand, skipping directly to the last page.

Dear Ashton, April 29, 2014

Do you know what the worst part is?

I'd fallen in love with you. Again.

-Luke

Michael looked at the grey sky, watching, waiting maybe for any sign that his friend was watching over him.

He heard a crack of thunder, and watched as a bolt of lightning cut through the sky like a knife.

He smiled, taking that as a sign, that yeah, Ashton was watching over him.

People - friends of Luke and Ashton, family, even Luke's nurse Lacey was there - crowded around the wide grave, filled with brown dirt and suffocating the thoughts of his friends. They had looks of sorrow, some crying, some with blank expressions, but probably thinking the same thing as Michael.

How could two people, so young, so beautiful, and so in love, off themselves like that?

There were many answers to this question, but none good enough.

In the bottom of the wide space, lay two people. Going against a traditional coffin, Luke and Ashton's moms planned for one funeral for their precious boys. One funeral, one day, one coffin. Side by side, they both lay, hair done to perfection and cold hands wrapped in each other's as if they will comfort each other on their new journey. And they were.

As the preacher droned on about the wasted lives of his friends, he felt the first drop of rain touch his suit clad shoulder. Calum must have felt one too, because he used the hand that Michael wasn't gripping to wipe the liquid from the tip of his nose.

One drop changed to thousands and the clouds opened up, drowning the fickle beings below.

The preacher cut off his speech, and left the site, as did others, probably to go in the small church at the entrance of the cemetary to finish the words.

Michael and Calum stayed though, still holding hands, looking at the mucky patch that buried their friends.

Rain soaked through their suits quickly, but there they stood hand in hand.

They knew underground, where it was cold in dry, that their best friends lay hand in hand too.

Michael smiled, squeezing Calum's hand, and looked up at the sky. Somewhere, somehow, both boys knew that their friends were happy. And that they would be okay.

--

im sO PROUD OF THIS CHAPTER HOLY SHIT I FEEL LIKE THIS IS THE BEST

Vote/Comment/Share

-Katie♡