Chapter 41: Voices

Help me!

Save me!

I love you!

ARRRGGH!

Don't let me die!

Their screams echo around in my empty head, their sounds of sorrow, of death, making it even more unbearable.

I can't do this.

I can't save them.

I was stupid to think that I could.

Muted sounds meet my ears from the outside world. Sweet, gentle sounds. Like music, but not. Just sounds, that could mean something to someone, but mean nothing to me. Words, that could hold the secret to everything, but I'd never know.

Barron broke me.

He destroyed my loop. He destroyed the family I'd made in that loop. Then he destroyed my next family. And then that loop. He destroys everything. And now he's destroyed me.

I keep hearing these sounds, so far away, yet so close, so soothing, yet very stiff and disjointed.

Then those sounds reach my head, penetrating the terrifying prison of my mind.

"Y/N, can you hear me?"

What does that mean? Is it something I should know? I don't know anything anymore.

"We need you. Come back to us."

Come back? Come back from where? Where am I?

"Come on Y/N."

Emma. Emma is talking to me. Something in my broken mind is piecing it together.

"You can do it."

Can I Emma? Do you really think I can?

"I have hope..."

Hope. The word sounds so foreign on her tongue. It is usually said in a deep, Scottish accent...

"Hope?" I take my hands off of my ears and look at Emma. She nods.

"Hope." Everything that's happened floods back to me. Where we are, what's happened, why we're here. I look at Emma and grab her hand.

"We need to get to Barron. We need to help the others." She nods again and we run towards where the others left.

I remember why I am doing this. For all the deaths of peculiars, for all the destruction, for all of peculiardom.

Because we have hope.

____________________________________________________________

We have hope. Because when there is nothing, there is always hope.

~Tamika