Chapter Two: Hallucinating

Chapter Two:

hallucinating 

Joanna sat in the chair with her back completely straight, watching as her friends circled around her in short dresses, heels and had primed, curled hair. The smell of perfume and alcohol clouded the air, as pop music blasted through Stacy's speakers. More than anything, Joanna just wanted to be left alone, to burry herself under her covers and reel from what she had experienced just yesterday. 

She couldn't even remember how she had gotten home last night, it seemed like everything after that traumatic incident was unimportant. Joanna didn't even think that her parents batted an eyelash at her strange mood or why she had returned home without her friend. They had smiled at her and asked if she was hungry.

But somehow Stacy knew that whatever happened to her, it wasn't something she was willing to talk about. Which is why Joanna was currently sitting in the awful, plastic chair, with one of her friends curling her hair and the other lathering her face with foundation and mascara.

"I heard that some of the college boys from the town over are going to be there tonight," Stacy had repeatedly said, in between drinks of her mother's favorite bottle of vodka and dances moves to Katy Perry.

One of the many girls clustering around Joanna whistled in appreciation. "I hope it's some of those fraternity brothers, they know how to party." She twirled her finger around one of Joanna's freshly made curls, tugging on it in amusement. "I also heard that a certain someone named Connor Kravenn is anticipating you being there, Jo."

The girls began to giggle and holler, throwing their plastic cups in the air.

"And why would he?" Joanna asked, once all her lashes were perfectly blackened and her face covered in powder.

Stacy placed the bottle on the bedside table, before wrapping her arms around Joanna's shoulders. Her chest was pressed against the back of the chair, and her head was resting on top of her friend's. "Because I might have casually brought you up when I saw him last night at the carnival." She winked and pressed a light kiss to the top of Joanna's head. "Since you went missing and all, I had to do the dirty work all by myself!"

Though Joanna was miles from being and feeling okay right now, just knowing that her friend would do something like that for her made a smile breakout across her face. It also helped that she felt like a million bucks with her hair styled perfectly and not one blemish could be in sight on her face.

With a dramatic gesture and stance, Joanna got out of her seat and grabbed a fresh cup from the pile and poured herself a small helping. "Here's to a night out!" She cheered, putting her drink in the air with her friends, before taking a big gulp.

The music was thumping through the floorboards and walls. Joanna was positively freezing by the time she and her friends had made it to the house, but the moment she stepped inside she was surrounded by warmth.

People were crowding the rooms with their bodies and cups in hand. Joanna had to weave her way through groups of different teenagers who were either dancing or socializing. The firm grip on her hand tugged Joanna to the side, nearly making her collide into a group of girls leaning against the wall.

Stacy began to drag them both into the kitchen, where the majority of groups were busy talking and taking pictures. The bass of the music faded to a dull thumping within the walls, which allowed for the two of them to find a spot near the kitchen counter to pour themselves some drinks and talk. In the midst of it all, a large group began to shuffle their way through the tiny, encompassed space. Among that group held a familiar face with golden, curly hair. In an instant, Joanna felt her cheeks grow redder than they already were from the flush of alcohol in her system.