I Need an Idea!

If there is one question I hear more than any other it's "where do you get your ideas from?" Stephen King answers this question with "there's a little store I go to that sells them", or words to that effect. Idea formation appears to be the hardest part of writing, but in actual fact, it is one of the simplest. In this chapter, we're going to look at some quick ways to get those creative juices flowing, then we'll use the ideas you come up with to start our story.

The Monster in the Room

There's a slabbering monster out there with vicious teeth, eyes like the abyss, and claws built for slicing flesh. We'll call this monster "the blank page". It is a terrifying sight for any writer. The enemy which must be defeated. But all too often it's something we don't want to face. We dare not. The blank page holds fear, it holds the promise of failure, a haunting image of what to write which will never leave you alone!

Believe it or not, most of the people who tell you they are writers either never, or very rarely, get past this horrid thing. But trust me when I say, the only way to slay a monster, to pierce the heart of even the most abhorrent demon, is to face it head on. You must be bold. Don't worry about failure. Don't worry about whether your story is going to be any good or not. Just stare that twisted miscreation in the eye and plunge your pen onto the paper (or fingers to the keyboard!). Be bold. You don't need to release everything you write, just get used to putting words down on the page. It doesn't need to be a masterpiece, first drafts rarely are. Only by taking action can you banish this beast to where it belongs, the past.

Waiting for the Muse

If there is one mistake I want all writers to avoid, it's waiting for a muse. In Greek mythology, the muses were goddesses who would bestow inspiration upon artists. Contemporary writers still talk about muses to this day - that which motivates them to write. That which seems to encourage the beginning of an idea. But relying on a muse is like waiting for a shooting star. You might see one, but you might also spend all night staring at the blank sky with nothing to show for it.

I am not saying that having a muse is a bad thing, or indeed that they don't exist. They most certainly do. But waiting for inspiration to strike is a terrible waste of your time. While you've been waiting for the perfect story or idea to form in your mind, you could have actually been writing. And that's what writers are supposed to do. 

If there's one thing I hope you take away from this book, it is that you don't wait for inspiration. You make inspiration. This seems counter intuitive because inspiration seems such a spontaneous, dare I say, magical thing. But it isn't. Think of inspiration more as a tree growing in your garden. In order for the tree to grow strong, you must provide it with the right environment. The right care. In this way, inspiration is the same. The seed of inspiration is already in your mind, you were born with it. All you need to do is water and feed it, to give it the correct environment in which to grow. 

That is what idea formation is all about.

Techniques for Creating an Idea

I'm going to outline several techniques for coming up with an idea, with a particular focus on what I call the "Bradbury Technique". Remember, every writer finds different ways to write and work, so try all of these techniques to see which one you are most comfortable with. RIght now, all we're doing is finding you an idea for your story. Once you choose an approach, it doesn't mean you're stuck with that approach for all time. Indeed, I use many different approaches. Variety is the spice of life or the poison of stagnant thought.

The Bradbury Technique

I call this the Bradbury Technique because I first read about it from the wonderful dark fantasy and science fiction writer, Ray Bradbury. This is a slightly tweaked version of his approach. The reason I am focussing particularly on this approach is that it works for everyone. Whether you are a seasoned pro or a complete beginner.

Sit in your writing bubble. Open the blank page or laptop.