the weekend rolls around and all i can think about is phil. all i can think about is how i couldn't hear a thing. all i can think about is that day.

this all happened on thursday and phil ignored me completely on friday. he didn't even drag me along in gym class like he usually does. he didn't give me a glance. but it's not like i tried either.

maybe he's done trying, just like i am. but i feel terrible for saying the things i said. he was trying to help, all along. and i have only met him with depreciation and anger.

i should try making it up to him. but how?

i stare out of the foggy window, at the snowy branches, pondering what to do. i don't want to end my friendship with phil.

suddenly the idea pops into my head. i remember phil telling me his favourite sweets were strawberry macarons. i'll buy him a box and deliver it to his house.

i rush downstairs, slipping on my coat, putting on my warm hat and wrapping a scarf around my neck to shield me from the cold outside. i slip my feet into my boots stepping outside into the rigid air.

before i catch my bus to town i need to make a stop.

i rush over to my left, to louise's house, knocking harder than anticipated. i wait longer than usual, but there's no answer. as i let out a deep sigh of disappointment and turn on my heel, the door swings open to reveal a lazy louise.

her blonde hair is pulled into a messy knot resting atop her head, and she's engulfed in an oversized jumper.

"oh it's you," she says groggily, rubbing her eyes.

"sorry, were you asleep?" i ask.

"yeah, no worries though, I needed an alarm anyways," she laughs. "so are you gonna come in or just stand in the freezing cold all day?"

"oh no, i need to be on my way, but i have a question to ask you," i say nervously. "so um-"

"314 mcgregor street," she cuts in. for a moment i look at her in confusion. wait! that must be phil's address.

"h-how'd you...?" i stare at her in shock.

"don't worry," she winks. "i had to give him the history notes a while back when he was absent so i knew his address."

"no i know you had to give him the notes that one day, that's why i was gonna ask you...but how'd you know that's what i needed b-before i-"

"dan, i know you better than yourself," she sighs. there's no mistake in that. getting anything by louise is impossible. it's like she can read my mind and thoughts before i even begin to comprehend anything.

"i...i..." i still stare at her in astonishment.

"now go do what's right," she smiles, and then shuts the door, leaving me to stand there, a million thoughts racing through my head.

well at least i know where he lives now.

•••

i get off the train into town, making my way to the bakery, walking on the snowy streets.

i finally reach the bakery, opening the door and being released into the scent of freshly brewed coffee, cake and frosting.