XX : Messy

"WAIT, SO YOU guys are dating now?" Shauna's slice of pizza falls dramatically onto her plate, her green eyes studying my face.

I shrug, a small smile tugging at my lips. "Uh, yeah, I guess."

She arches an eyebrow, stretching her freshly-painted toes across the couch. "How long have you known each other, again?"

I lay on the carpet beside her, staring at the white ceiling. "I met him about a month back. He works with my brother and my dad."

I can feel her roll her eyes. "I got that part. And yes, he's very cute and very nice and I'm happy for you."

I try to find a 'but' in her tone but there is none. Reaching up onto the coffee table, I steal another slice of pizza. Shauna holds out her plate, and I toss one on there too.

Suddenly she sits up, a mischievous expression written all over her face. "Have you told Daniel yet?"

I flush, and she has her answer. Her laughter is completely and one hundred percent at my expense. "Those two are really good friends, Ros. Imagine what it will be like when Caleb tells him he's screwing his sister."

I give her a whack. "Caleb isn't going to tell him anything."

"But you have to tell him soon, you know..." She lives to make fun of me.

"I will." I walk to the kitchen to escape the conversation, checking on my cupcakes, but she follows me, enjoying herself way too much.

"You're glowing, you know. So I'm guessing the sex is just amazing?"

My face goes warm, and not from the oven. Of course, I don't dignify that question with a response. She watches me pluck the little cakes from the tray and plop them onto a rack to cool.

"Oh come ooon, Ros! Tell me. I can keep your secrets."

I sigh, unable to stop the smile that twitches at the corners of my lips. "Okay, let's just say that since Sunday night I've seen him... every night."

Her squeal almost ruptures my eardrums. "God, Rosalyn. I never knew you could be such a slut." I narrow my eyes at her, but it does nothing. "Wait," she continues, "Is he coming tonight?" She checks her watch, and I know it's around 6.

"He has dinner with his parents. And I have movie night with my best friend." I give her a wry look, and she reaches out her arms to pull me into an excited hug.

"You know I love you, right?" She says it while picking up a cupcake from the tray, and I snatch it away.

Rolling my eyes, I nod. "Even though you have the worst way of showing it."

She shrugs. "Hey, someone has to ask the hard questions." Her grin makes it hard to stay angry.

"Whatever."

"Ohmygosh, hey. I forgot to tell you something." Her voice is a mix of seriousness and excitement.

"What?"

"Okay, so the other day I was out for dinner with my parents at this fancy Italian restaurant downtown, right?"

I have no idea where this is going. "Okay...?"