R Ë A D Ę R

Dear
R Ë A D Ë R

So, you reached the end of Inferno, I hope you enjoyed it.
I'd like you to know this is my first piece of work that I've committed myself to finishing. I wrote this piece in 9 days and the brunt of it in two days and now I know if I want to write I can. Thank you for coming on this journey with me. Would you like a sequel? Are you ready for it?

Here are two excerpts from Mira's future....

      "The time has come

      "The time has come." The Empress whispered in my ear, her pale fingers curled around my shoulders, her nails cut into my flesh. "To pledge your allegiance. Whose side will you stand on?" Her cold breath fanned my skin, and I resisted a shiver. She pushed me down so I was no longer standing, but sitting on a bejewelled throne made of a thousand bones. The one she had made, just for me.

"Do you like it?" She asked, while taking a moment to admire the craftsmanship. "I had it polished with liquid diamond. And the rubies, I had them shaped into roses. Your favourite flower, yes?" She didn't wait for an answer, her eyes lovingly moved over the red jewels. "I was going to wait, but I'm no good with surprises." A tinkling giggle left her lips.

      I tried to swallow the bile that was rising in my throat, tried to control my shallow breathing. I could feel sweat trickling down my back. Discomfort settled in my stomach, as betrayal and anticipation mixed together.

      She walked around the throne, to the silver table in front of me. A silky fabric of maroon covered a tray. Now she stood across from me. The Empress sank to her knees, allowed her arms to rest on the table. She cupped her face with both hands. The mannerism, so innocent it was almost childlike.

"My treasure," she spoke in a melody, sweet as honey, "the Prophecy is upon us. Your Destiny has come to find you. You must choose." Her voice which had once soothed, now disgusted. Wide green eyes expectantly watched me. I held her gaze until I recognised the hard glint in her eyes that she always tried to mask with love.

      Love, she knew nothing of it, could only try to replicate it.  Betrayal, had shattered my heart in millions. It's toxic taste poisoned my mouth, a bitter sour tang. I bit my tongue holding back the rage that threatened to be released like a tsunami. The Empress, she had used me, and I, being so blinded by love, had allowed her to. To her, I was nothing more then a pawn in a chess game. A game she knew all the moves to. Merely a piece to be collected and kept. And, that thought alone made my knees go weak. A riot of emotions rattled through my body, shaking me to my core.

     It seemed I was seeing her for the first time without illusion clouding my eyes. A vision of serene monstrosity, heartbreakingly beautiful, but her aura...it reeked of malice. What had she done to obtain that beauty, that power, that throne? I didn't want to know the answer, but felt the truth seep into my mind. It could not be ignored, I could not be ignorant to the evil she housed, allowed, revelled in. Despite this, at the moment all I felt was betrayal. Tears gathered in my eyes until The Empress became a blur, only when they trekked down my cheeks did I see her clearly.