23

The ice cold breeze bit my nose ravenously, as if it were thirsty for my flesh, stinging the pale skin turning it red. The snow had picked up by now, the warehouse had been turned into a murderous wonderland where crime scene tape was everywhere, police were keeping away anyone unauthorized to enter the scene and the mood seemed darker than the grey clouds above.

Lance's jacket was quite large on my body but it kept my torso surprisingly warm, and it also smelt good. His cologne was on it, the cologne he would always spray on himself everyday in hopes of nabbing a new girl to bring back to his place though it never proved useful until now. It wrapped me in a warm presence where I felt safe, untouchable and even concentrated. It felt as if Lance were protecting me from our apartment.

"Keith, the crime happened where Watson is, do you think you can manage to walk over there?" Natasha asked as she walked over to my side with her snow cap on, black scarf and her winter work clothing. She looked tired, bags under her eyes and the once bright iris's had become dull and unhappy.

I looked over at detective Watson who stood by an evidence marker, her black hair covered her left green eye as she quietly studied the snow for some sort of clue to surface. "I can manage to do normal people stuff, yes." I told my boss before hobbling over across the white fluffiness below me in order to approach the junior detective that belonged to another senior detective who happened to be on vacation for the moment.

Julia Watson looked up in surprise as she locked eyes with me. "Mr. Kogane, it's a pleasure to meet you sir." She smiled at me with held back excitement as she held her hand out to me, she wore a leather glove.

I accepted the invitation and shook her hand gently, regretting not taking a hat with me as I felt my ears sting slightly from the cold bite of the air around us. "Watson, the pleasure is all mine. So you know anything useful so far?" I looked down at the snow to see nothing but white, the marker had been placed down for nothing since this weather would destroy whatever evidence had been left behind.

"Well this is where it happened, I'm sorry for having to point out the details however, we found casings of an agency issued gun and we're having one of our guys try to trace it back to a direct gun to see if it belonged to Antonio or another detective." Julia avoided eye contact as she shoved her gloved hands into her jacket pockets quickly. "Either case means bad news."

"Yeah, no kidding..." I mumbled as I looked over to the warehouse to see police talking to the dealer and taking notes as the man crossed his legs and pointed his face away from the annoyed police men. If the gun were Antonio's it meant that the killer used his to commit the crime but if it is another detectives it meant Pyxis was among our ranks. Watson had the same thoughts as me, she showed signs of distress as she bit down onto her bottom lips and clenched her fists inside the black trenchcoat she sported. Her green eyes were focused onto the ground as if it had hypnotized her into a trance, my hands balled into fists as I clenched my teeth slightly. If Pyxis was truly among our ranks it meant no one around me was truly safe, Natasha could have her family killed next, Allura could be hunted down and finally be finished off and Lance could be a sitting duck within the apartment complex.

"When I was a child I used to believe that monsters were the things that hid under my bed or in my closet, the things every child feared. But now that I'm a detective I've realized something..." Watson clenched her jaw as her gaze slowly shifted up to meet mine, her eyes full of resentment and disgust.

"Humans are the only monsters on earth." I finished the sentence for her, memories of my old foster homes flooding back to me, the memories of my scars burning into my skin and even the memories of the razor caked in blood. "Monsters are created by society therefore, human nature is what brings upon these cattle that have strayed from the herd-"