Prologue

Dean stared up at the ceiling of his dorm. He was thinking of good ideas for another drawing. Suddenly, he remembered something from potions earlier that day.

He grabbed his sketchpad and hastily outlined a flame so beautiful it left him breathless. But soon he realized he wasn't looking at the flame in his drawing when his chest tightened. It was when his best friend Seamus entered the room. Dean swallowed the feeling, fear prickling through him. Why did he feel this way about his mate? No other boys seemed to express this sort of deep feeling when looking at their friends.

"Hey Dean, what've you got there?" Seamus yawned, tired from the long day. Dean noticed how the tips of his hair were singed.

"Just a drawing." Dean added something to the back, clearly sketching a face in the background.

"Oh cool, it's bound to be as good as your other ones." When Dean only replied with a grunt, Seamus rolled his eyes and laughed in his peculiar Irish accent. "Sorry for bothering you, mate, I'll just leave you be."

He closed his curtains. Dean wished it could be so simple. He wished he could close his eyes and the sight of his friends face would fade. But it didn't, and when Dean looked down, he was horrified and pleased that the face he had drawn laughing merrily in the background looked exactly like Seamus. Hastily, he crumpled it away and threw it in the waste-bin.

"It can never be." He whispered. What he didn't know was that Seamus was hiding behind his curtains shaking his head sadly, saying the exact same thing.