Chapter 32

• Mark •

As soon as Billy's hands met the sides of Jack's head, he was dropping to the floor like a stone. My breath caught in my throat as several emotions appeared to flash across Billy's face – first, some regret, remorse, but that quickly changed to content as he backed away. I couldn't find it in me to care anymore how much he could hurt me; all that mattered was reaching Jack and making sure he was okay.

Thankfully, Billy didn't try to strike me down as I sprinted over. The same words kept flashing across my mind as I drew closer – not again, this can't be happening again. I had never seen the kind of power that could kill somebody simply by touching them, but any number of things could have happened – icicles from his hands, poison, there were several powers in his possession which could end like this.

I dropped to my knees, taking Jack in my arms, rushing to press two fingers against the pulse point in his wrist. When I didn't feel anything there, I did the same to his neck, tears already flowing desperately when I felt nothing there, either. His skin was already pale and felt cold to the touch, clammy, and no amount of desperate movement of my hands against his chest brought the presence of a heartbeat. I leant over, resting my ear just against his cheek, but I couldn't hear any breaths or see the rise and fall of his chest. He was still. All the evidence was there, but I refused to accept it, immediately choosing instead to frantically press my hands down into his chest. I had been taught CPR before, most people at Sector Eight were, and thankfully the knowledge was coming back in the form of muscle memory, because if I'd had to think about it in that moment I would have never been able to remember.

I took a deep breath and pressed my lips to his urgently and released two gulps of air, trying to force the oxygen into his lungs. His lips just felt cold, motionless, and it was sickening. I repeated this several times over, 30 chest compressions, 2 breaths, just as I had been taught, but the life didn't return to his face, I still couldn't feel the beat of his heart. After about five minutes, when I felt like my wrists would break off should I continue, I leant back and moved my hands to my face, feeling the water streaming down my cheeks. Why Billy still hadn't taken advantage, I didn't know, but I didn't feel like doing the smart thing and questioning it either. I stayed like that for a moment, desperate breaths leaving my mouth, before I felt a whimper ripped through my throat, another deep breath, a louder whimper, and then I was screaming, unable to shut my eyes.

I don't know how long I sat there, it could have been an hour, could have been five minutes, the hands of my internal clock had frozen with my thoughts. I couldn't do anything but sit there and violently shake, half wanting to hug him to my chest, half not because I was afraid of how it would feel to not share in his warmth. I don't know how long it was, but eventually the disbelief became such that I felt everything replaced by hot, cutting anger. I couldn't see it, but my eyes must have turned pink, if not the rest of my face by now.

"You'll regret this." I gasped out, standing up on shaky legs. I could practically feel the excess power leaking out of me, my body too simple a vessel to contain that more energy. Something told me Felix wouldn't have such an objection to my lack of control now. "I am going to make your life a living hell. Are you listening!"

It wasn't a question, I knew he was. The power seeping through my mouth, leaving with my words, assured it. I steadily turned around, feeling almost weighed down by it, and when my eyes met his I finally saw what I had been looking for – fear. "I will not allow you to take anymore."

"Mark?" A new voice suddenly joined in. I whipped my head around, recognizing the voice instantly, and came face to face with Daniel, shock written across his face as he took in the scene. He must have followed us, probably spoke to Felix, but he clearly wasn't prepared for what would meet him. He looked to Jack, face paling at the sight, and then back to me, almost fearfully. "That's you, right?"