The Peaceful Giant Rests In Peace

Percy was the only one not affected by the misery--it must've had something to do with him being Chaos. Not even his team escaped without some form of misery thrust upon them.

Percy waved his hands and a white light spread across the junkyard, targeting our side of the war. When it touched a demigod or centaur, or Bob or Tyson or Damasen, they rose from their misery induced stupor, and got back to fighting.

Oizys glared at Percy and released her army from the misery spell. Unfortunately Percy couldn't completely dissolve it from our side, and some of the fighters were a bit slower with their movements.

We found that as long as Percy was touching me in some way, or close by, the misery wouldn't catch me. Only the curse prevented me from fighting as well as I usually could. I didn't mind it too much though, it was reassuring to have Percy by my side after we had been separated since the beginning of the fight.

Oizys was standing on top of a large mound of discarded metal. She wore a long, blue-gray robe which covered her entire body. Her eyes were black, blacker than night, representing the color of pure misery. The folds of her robe flapped in the wind, and she stared down at us with disgust.

Percy grabbed my wrist--I assumed because it was easier to hold on to while running and fighting--and we charged towards Oizys. The goddess of misery saw us approaching and smiled evilly. She raised her hands and swirling silver spheres formed in her hands. I assumed that if we were hit by them, misery would consume us until there was nothing left, and warned Percy.

Neither of us were sure, but it was better to be safe than sorry. Getting hit by glowing orbs of power from a villain was never a good idea. We held up our weapons and climbed the mound of scrap metal that Oizys was standing on.

She threw her balls of energy at us and our stomachs hit the ground. The spheres vaporized as soon as they passed over our heads, but Oizys didn't attempt at conjuring more of them. She must've known that we would dodge them easily, but had tried anyway.

Oizys reached into her long robe and pulled out an abnormal knife. It was like a pitchfork, with two blades spreading out of the handle in somewhat of a U shape, but it was a knife. A tiny, hand held knife. It was like a lowercase L with a U stacked on top of it.

I frowned at the unusual weapon, but readied mine. Percy had a confused look on his face when he saw the knife as well, but shook it off and pulled out Oblivion as well as Riptide. He twirled the deadly swords in his hands and charged the goddess.

Oizys was a much better fighter than I anticipated. She jumped straight into the air over Percy's swords and landed behind him. He whirled around and thrust forward with Oblivion, but Oizys caught the blade in between her pitchfork-like knife and pushed it away. I lunged and managed to nick her arm, producing a thin line of gold. She hissed and jutted back her elbow, which knocked into my gut and pushed me backwards.

Percy dashed forward and brought both swords over Oizys' back. An X was cut into her robe and a golden X was visible beneath it. She roared and whipped around, whacking Percy in the face and sending him flying backward.

He recovered and jumped up, anger on his face. I joined him. We raised our weapons and charged. Percy grabbed my arm a few feet away from her and spun in a circle, lifting me off the ground. We were both around twenty-one years old now, and had learned a few tricks.

We continued in our circle, one of my legs outstretched and the other tucked in. Percy finished spinning me and my foot cracked against Oizys' chin. She jolted back, the force surprising her and throwing her off balance.

She turned back to face us and I saw that her jaw was uneven. She lifted a hand and pushed on her jaw until it snapped back into place. I grimaced, and rotated my dagger in my hand.

Percy charged again and thrust Riptide at Oizys' abdomen. She maneuvered her strange knife into place, and caught the sword between the blades and twisted. Riptide snapped into two, clean pieces.

Percy held the hilt in his hand, baffled. His eyes filled with anger and he tossed the hilt into the air. It hovered, and the broken edge floated up to meet it. The two pieces connected, and the sword was fixed. It dropped into his hand and his grip tightened around it.

"No one, breaks my sword." He growled, and with that he charged the goddess of misery.

She barely had time to defend herself. Percy attacked with ferocity I'd never seen before. In seconds, Oizys lay before him, defenseless, her knife laying at my feet. Percy chanted, and she faded in and out. He was sending her to the Void.

Oizys realized what he was doing a summoned a ball of misery. I assumed she would throw it at me, but she caught me off guard when she tossed it towards the battle, where it struck Damasen. The giant froze and collapsed, misery flooding his thoughts.

"That's for my brother!" She choked out, before her figure wavered and she disappeared completely.

"Brother . . ." Percy panted, breathing heavily. "That's right, I killed Momus in the Demigod War." He saw my awestruck face and added, "I've been studying Greek mythology. You know, since I'm Chaos."

"Don't remind me." I sniffed and scooped up the strange knife, and switched topics. "Percy! Damasen." I pointed to the bane of Ares, and Percy paled.

He dashed off with me close behind. He shoved his hands outward and the monsters near Damasen were momentarily frozen.

The giant himself was curled up in the fetal position, crying. He wouldn't move, he didn't react to anything we did. Nothing worked. He whispered to himself, words that made no sense to us. He was depressed, majorly depressed.

"Percy, there's nothing we can do for him right now. Not while we are in the middle of the war. We can afterwards, but not now." I touched his shoulder.

"I know. I'll do my best to protect him until then." He backed up and his eyes glowed briefly. "Come on, we've got a war to win."

Percy and I joined the battle and killed any monsters in our path. Percy wasn't hurt, having the curse of Achilles, but I gained many cuts and bruises, along with suffering from Gaea's curse. We paid close attention to Damasen, relieved to find him okay. Well, as okay as a person can be in the middle of a war while cursed with misery.

I threw Oizys' weird knife across the battlefield where it stabbed into the back of an Earthborn attacking Tansy. She pulled the knife out of the pile of dust, examined it, and dropped her sword. I guess she liked it.

I bent my back, Matrix style, as a dracaenae's spear passed over me. I leaned up when the spear was out of the way and stabbed my dagger into her neck. She dropped the spear and disintegrated.

"DON'T LET HER WIN!" A loud cry rang across the battlefield, coming from Damasen's direction.

I turned and was horrified to see monsters covering every inch of his body, stabbing their weapons into him. I tried to run over to him, but he seemed to be moving farther and farther away. I ran, but my muscles felt like jelly.

Percy dashed past me, unaffected. He reached Damasen, but it was too late. The giant was disintegrating. The monsters crawled off of his body, satisfied. Percy yelled, and the creatures that had killed Damasen exploded into golden dust.

The spell broke, and I reached Percy and Damasen. There was nothing left. Just a pile of golden dust, and a bit of golden ichor smeared on the ground.

The peaceful giant was--hopefully--resting in peace.