Chapter 2 // "Catch me if you can"

My eyes take in her appearance, her bright hair is pin straight running down her back in thick locks, the corners of her eyes are creased with laughter as she grins at my twin sister. There's something about her face that is glowing, I remember when she left it was like I'd stolen all the light from her. Or that's what she told me anyway.

"Daniel Dawson you ruin everything you touch, and you've ruined me"

She hasn't seen me yet.

It's been 3 years, yet I can swear it feels like I'd just seen her yesterday, it feels like just yesterday we were sitting in the cafeteria bickering about useless stuff. She's visited Cress every summer, but I've used all my efforts to stay away from her. 

I continue to stare at Winter, it feels like I'm looking at a ghost.

Elliott mistakenly (Or maybe not mistakenly cause it's Elliott we're talking about) knocks two glasses together. This grabs both Winter and Crescent's attention.

Winter's head spins in my direction her hair flips over her shoulder, the motion looks like the reflexion of sunlight in the ocean rippling as two waves crash together.

Her eyes first land on Elliott, it's when her gaze meets mine that all the kindness fizzles out and there's only poison left in her eyes.

There's only one way I can look back at her.

Look back at someone I once felt something for, the girl who asked where my heart was when I was in the worst place in my life and didn't know if there's was a heart anymore. The person I told to leave and she did just that.

I look back at her with an equal amount of hatred.

We stare at each other for several moments too long before we simultaneously drop our gazes.

Crescent looks me and I can see that she's shocked to see me here too, yeah, I don't work Tuesdays.

My sister, walks forward from the door and drops a pink bag with black writing on the counter.

Elliott's eyes light up as he grins at his girl "Dawson you really didn't have to, what's the special occasion"

He reaches forward to grab the small bag, but Cress swipes it off the counter before he can even get a peak inside.

"You'll have to wait and see" She winks at him, tightly clutching on to the bag.

"Hey Dawson you want a coffee on the house, I'll add extra chocolate" Elliot sweet talks my sister.

Cress just frowns at him "Go ahead Grayson, you're still not allowed inside this bag"

"I hate you sometimes" He mutters under his breath but its obviously a joke.

"I love you too Elliott" She smiles at him, he rolls his eyes at her but can't help but smile back. I roll my eyes at both of them, Elliott smacks the back off my head when he sees me doing this.

I know I act like I hate both of them being together, but I really am happy for them both. Even when I try and act happy it comes out bitter. It's not my fault.

Slowly, Winter walks towards us in her tall heels, the sound of them is echoing off the walls. She can't take her eyes off me, it's like she trying to look inside me and understand who I am after all these years.

Cress tells me her usual order and before I can help myself my eyes dart towards Winter's face. Her expression is stone cold.

"You know how I like my coffee"