And then a voice from far above:  "Hi, Charm!"

She blinked.  A tiny head appeared atop the large creature.  Drake waved down at her from his perch atop its head.  Charmian's jaw dropped as the beast sank toward the ground as far as it could, still leaving Drake high above her, so that if he were to jump, he would most likely end up hurting himself.

"Whaddya think?" he called, grinning.

She could only blink again, mouth hanging open.  "Neat, huh?" Drake filled in.  "They look really mean but they're really nice.  I know, it really freaked me out when I saw 'em too, but then I got to know this one and boom, it's like we've been friends forever!"

"Dr...Drake," Charmian finally managed to force out, "you're...scared of heights, aren't you?"

"Huh?"  He paused and looked around him, then back down at her and shrugged with a smile.  "Well, yeah, but that's different, I wasn't on one of these things before."

"What is it?"

It is an Uroona.  Charmian turned with surprise to see Tal Natha appear, coming into the clearing behind her.  Red Bird was with him, holding onto his arm with one hand.  Tal Natha looked up at the strange creature as Drake slid down its neck and arm to land safely on his feet.  They are harmless.  Though I'm surprised that your friend the Drake has taken to them so quickly.  Outsiders do not normally appreciate those things they are not used to.

"What have I missed?  What's going on?"

You've missed little.  You were quite tired last night.  I hope you slept well.

Charmian nodded, then frowned to herself.  She wasn't certain if she'd dreamed last night or not...but she found herself wondering if he knew.  If he'd...been there.

She tried to keep this thought to herself, as she didn't want him to know it.  He showed no signs of noticing, though she couldn't be certain.  He'd concealed his emotions well enough to fool her before.

For goodness' sake, Charm!  Are you getting afraid of him?

She felt guilty.

"So what is Drake doing playing with an...uh...Uroona?" she asked aloud, glancing back at it, and at Drake, who came running her way, promptly stumbling and falling over, skinning his knees.

They came in the night.  Tal Natha's look turned troubled.  While we slept.  When we awoke they had surrounded Sugar Loaf.  This in itself is strange.  They normally keep to themselves.

"They're a very shy species," Francois, followed by Marcott, said, joining them.  He held a little leatherbound book in one hand and his fingers were stained gray.  Marcott still carried his little case and glanced up at the beast nervously.  "But also very intelligent.  Don't be fooled by its looks, it understands all that we're saying."

"It does?"

"The Uroona are...what is the word you use...empathic.  They can sense emotions.  This is how they communicate with others.  Almost like the way Ocryxes and manitous do, only not as direct.  If one addresses you you will sense what it is saying rather than hear the exact words."

They come for you, Tal Natha said, abruptly.

"What?  Me?"  Charmian turned to look at him, confused.  "Why do they want me?  I--I didn't even know what they were, until you told me."

They sensed your dreams.  They've known you were here from the beginning.  Tal Natha's ear twitched.  Please do not assume they mean to intrude.  This is how they determine whether one is well intentioned or hostile toward them.  They have every right to be cautious with people such as yourself.  They knew you were here, and they came to see you.  He paused, and looked at the Uroona again.  This is what concerns me.  They sense the dreams of all newcomers and yet they prefer to keep to themselves.  They study us all from afar, or else when we enter their own domain.  For them to come to us...this is strange behavior for Uroona.  I sense something is not right.