Kaleidoscope | Chapter 3

i am a lazy fuck, okay. Im sorry i took so long to update but i just had lots going on right now and i guess i completely forgot! anyway, i hope this is good for now.

*

C H A P T E R  2

Hurricane 

When Avery woke up the next morning, she felt a strange heat all over her body and she could hardly breath. She opened her eyes and saw Drake was crushing her in his sleep. She groaned and tried to wiggle out of his reach but when she finally laid next to him and let out a sigh of relief, Drake threw his arms around her and brought her close to him, going back to a similar position she was in before. 

"Oh no," She muttered under her breath. 

Avery suddenly pushed Drake off her, resulting in him slipping off the bed and unto the floor as she finally could sit up. She heard Drake groaned in pain and smiled to herself. He opened his eyes, shielding them from the light coming from his window with his hand. Before either of them could say something, someone knocked on the door. Avery's eyes got wide as she scrambled off bed and to the closet next opposite of the bed really quick and Drake rubbed his eyes, still confused. 

She sank down the closet, her hand over her mouth to not make any noise at all. 

"Drake, sweetheart, are you okay?" 

He blinked a few times and looked at the bed and everything clicked on his mind. He sat up, rubbing his eyes. "Yeah, I just fell off bed," He explained, as he got up and sat on the edge of the bed.

His mother smiled and nodded. "Breakfast is almost done, go down to eat in 10 minutes," She said, and closed the door behind her as she walked back down to the kitchen. 

Avery slowly opened the closet's door, her gaze set on the door if Drake's mother came back. She brightly smiled at her best friend as he glared back. 

"Why the fuck did you throw me off the bed?" He asked in a monotone, he felt as he already knew the answer.

"Because you wouldn't let me breath," She replied back easily, as she searched for her toothbrush in her backpack.

He got up and rolled his eyes, ruffling his hair as he walked to the bathroom oppositive of his room. She smiled to herself as her eyes followed her best friend and let out a small laugh when Drake almost smacked against the door. She sat on the bed, looking around Drake's room as she waited for him to come out so she could go to the bathroom. 

Avery had always liked Drake's room so much better than hers ( maybe because he doesn't bother to decorate or change anything in her room because what's the point of that when she'll be leaving in months? ). Maybe it's also due to Drake, too. Because he always made her feel at home. Maybe because there is a piece of her in here that isn't at her own room, in her own house. 

She sighed and laid back on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. 

A few minutes later, Drake walked back to his room in silent, looking fresh. "You should go to the bathroom right now, otherwise it'll be really hard to explain to my mom why is there someone on our bathroom if we're both downstairs." He said, throwing a towel from his closet to the Avery. 

She nodded and felt a pang in her chest because she didn't mean to impose so much on Drake's life than she already did by getting him in trouble for harboring a teenage girl on his room when he shouldn't, even if she was his best friend. 

Closing the door of the bathroom quietly behind her, she was already going through her plans for today. It was Saturday, and she worked at the library today, from 10 am to 5 pm, which meant she had lots of time to kill. She reckons perhaps maybe tonight she could ask Drake's mother if she could stay, she'll probably have to sleep on the guest room alone but that's fine, it was better than sleeping at her own house.

She yawned as she finished brushing her teeth. She then threw water on her face, hoping to wake up.  She blinked a few times as she got dried with the towel. She quietly walked back to Drake's room and saw him standing in front of his closet looking for cloths. She took her old phone from her pocket, checking the time. It was 9:46 am and the walk to the library from Drake's house was at least 20 minutes long so she probably had to leave now. 

"Thanks for letting me stay with you," She spoke and Drake turned his head to her, blinking. "I'll be going right now, library." She explained and he nodded. 

He opened his mouth and closed it, so he tried again. "I can ask my mom to let you stay for a few days?" He suggested, sounding more like a question than a statement. 

"If it's not much trouble, I don't want to cause you any trouble with your mom, Drake." 

He shook his head. "You can never cause me any trouble, Avery." He said softly, but before either could speak, his mother's voice rang out telling him breakfast was done and to come down. 

She smiled at him. 

"I'll just be going, exit through the garden right?" Avery asked, throwing her bag over her shoulder with a reassuring smile to her best friend.

He nodded and they both quietly walked down the stairs. Drake made sure to make a lot of noise so Avery could sneak out from their back door. The kitchen was next to the main entrance so it was easy. His mother scolded him but he smiled nonetheless. 

Avery took her old mp3 out with her earphones and playing her favorite song, Explosion by Ellie Goulding. She felt like she could understand it's meaning better than any other song she has ever heard before.

Explosions on the day you wake up, needing somebody and you've learned it's okay to be afraid, but it will never be the same. 

It made her feel better about her making her best friend's life more complicated than it had to be. She never really understood why Drake stuck with her since that day they had met in 3rd grade, but she couldn't complain because he was everything she could have ever asked for. He was there when she needed him and she was so grateful for that. 

At least, she had a little ray of hope in the middle of this hurricane that she called her life.

Re-written - 22 of January 2014