Reunion

Nathaniel felt his heart beat rapidly between his chests. Would it work? What if it didn’t? And what if it did and Leila didn’t care. He stopped himself. He couldn’t be thinking as so, but what if she had moved on? Would she have? God, he hoped not. He loved her; he wouldn’t be able to let her go. He sat first class on a window seat, his mother had stayed behind, and she would come tomorrow on the pretext that this was the company party of the year. This was the time that Sports Inc. solidified annual business partners, presented new ideas and launched new campaigns.  Before he and Leila separated, Leila had finished the final product of the new advertisement ad. This party was to introduce this ad firstly to the shareholders, and to the public before publishing it worldwide.

              His mother had managed to convince his father that Nathaniel had find his way back, so Nathaniel pretended on going to church with Alice every Sunday. Her blonde hair would bounce around as she beamed while she would walk inside the church with Nathaniel. So vain, he would think to himself. But he smiled; his father was buying it. Several times she tried to kiss him and no matter how hard he tried, he could not bring himself to. He brought up the excuse that he had lost his ways with Leila, that he ad lost his path and in order to redeem himself he must practice complete abstinence until he felt right with God, he must deprive himself any self pleasure.  Alice who was please to even have Nathaniel back in her life, happily obliged. Of course he knew that she was sleeping around, but he could care less, he would not be with her for long. He looked to his side, to find Alice sleeping next to him. By god he despised the woman, but little did she know she would be helping in getting Leila back. A funny thing happens once you start to pretend to follow the path one wants you to follow; they soon ever question the things you do.  His father happily obliged while dropping hints of marriage to Alice. He simply smiled on the outside and cringed internally.  He felt anxious, god he wanted to see Leila’s face again. He wanted to kiss her, hug her, tell her that he had missed her, missed her so damn much that everyday felt as though he was running out of oxygen.  She would be there; he had made sure of it. Her company had been responsible for the ad and he made sure that Mike made sure to tell her boss that it was essential that Leila be there if they ever wanted to do any business again. And not wanting to lose their biggest investor, her boss had happily obliged.  He heard the pilot announcing their arrival to New York and he breathed in, now all there was to do was to set the plan n motion.

“ I can’t believe I have to go to this shit” Leila yelled at Laura who was busy paining her nails for the night to come.

“Didn’t you execute this project basically by your damn self?”

“Yes, but… I really don’t need to go to this company’s thing, especially with a racist bunch of old people to say the least”

“Pish posh, you’ll be fine… and you’ll never know maybe you’ll run into a cute guy or something. Are you even bringing a date?”

“Unmm, Lance called and said yes.”

“Wait?” Leila’s cousin paused, “ You mean Lance the one that Nathaniel Harrington doesn’t like, probably despise and is really jealous whenever he gets near you lance?” her cousin asked swallowing her spit, knowing the impeding disaster.

“I doubt Nate will be there, so I think we’ll be fine” Leila said which brought out a small nervous laugher from her cousin “Is there something you’re not telling me Laura?” Leila asked.

“oh nothing, but I’m glad you’re going with someone, that’s a huge step” Laura  said truing to deviate from further questions.

“We’re just going as friends, I’m not in any emotional position to be dating right now, especially with Soledad as a responsibility, I have to do what is best for her now, at least until Derrick comes back home”