Chapter Three

*Jannette*

It's been who knows how many days and Dustin and I are still underground. It feels like it's been forever but it could probably just have been a couple hours.
"You made the dirt too stiff, dude. It's never gunna collapse." I tell Dustin.
"Give it some time," he says.
All of a sudden, we hear the dirt on top of us starting to rumble. This is it. It's getting harder to breathe and I'm ready to stop completely breathing. Then something unexpected happen. I saw a glimpse of sunlight.
What the hell is happening? I wanted to die...not be rescued.
"Dig in front of you. Maybe we can move forward and they won't find us." Dustin says.
I begin to dig but it's no use.
"Don't move," a male voice demands.
I don't want to listen but something takes over my body. I can't move and I just stay there. Dustin looks at me but I just blankly glare at him. I think he got the idea and grabbed a hold of my hand. A few moments later, the police got us out of the big hole we've been digging for months. I climbed up the ladder and the first thing I saw were my parents. I look at them and then look away. The policeman walks up to Dustin and I and explains what's going to happen.
"You kids have any idea of what you just attempted? You could've stopped breathing down there. Also, there's a law that states that you're not allowed to dig more than six feet deep. This hole is more than six feet deep. But the people who's backyard you were buried in kindly decided to not press charges. But we're sending you two to a mental institution. You'll
Stay there for as much as needed and then we'll talk about foster home afterwards."
Dustin grabs my hand again. I can't believe they're going to separate us again. This isn't what we wanted. My hands clench up into fists but I manage to keep myself under control.
Because Dustin is eighteen, we were both sent to different hospitals. Once he's done, he has the ability to be free. But since I'm a minor, I'm going to be put in a foster home. I hate this and I want to die. Why didn't they leave us there? We're better off dead.