Chapter 19 (Revised 4/21/2019)

Clarissa slowed the car to a halt outside of a house that I didn't recognize. It looked dark and from where she parked, I couldn't see anyone on the lawn. It didn't look like much of a party, and I stared at the back of Clarissa's head, wondering if she had been mistaken.

Cory leaned forward in his seat to lean across Clarissa's lap, peering out her window. "Is this it?"

Cory leaned forward in his seat so that he was leaning across Clarissa to peer out her window.

"Is this it?"' Cory asked Clarissa speaking my thoughts out loud.

Clarissa shook her head scattering her dark hair. "No, of course it's not, silly. This would be the worst party ever. It's around the block; I'm just parking here because I'm guessing it'd be impossible to park any closer."

"Oh, okay," Cory said resting back against his seat as he undid his seatbelt.

Without another word, Cameron popped open the door he had been crammed next to and we all crawled out into the night, grateful to have personal space back again. As we walked, no one spoke so I looked up at the sky to amuse myself. The moon was once again hidden behind thick downy-like clouds.

Cameron nudged me, and I glanced at him.

"Looking for a UFO?" he joked.

I smiled. "Yeah, I hear they're common around here."

Miles blinked at us from his place a few steps behind but said nothing. Even so, I felt bad for the joke.

We could hear the party before we ever saw it. As we came up to the scene, we were greeted with lights and loud music. Clarissa led the group across the lawn, kicking beer cans out of our way as we went. People were engaged in conversation, laughing and talking loudly. Their glazed eyes watched us with mild interest, but I pretended not to notice.

Clarissa's mood, on the other hand, seemed to lighten. Suddenly, she stopped checking to see if we were behind her, and went into the house with Cory on her heels.

Left alone once again Cameron turned to look at me. "Well, she seems fine now." He shrugged.

"Yeah. I'm not worried about it."

Cameron scoffed. "I'm worried she's gonna forget we're here. How long do you think she'll want to stay?"

"I don't know," I said, tapping my fingers to my lips. The last party I had gone to with her had resulted in me physically dragging her away.

"Well, might as well make the best of it. I'm gonna go find some snacks," he said.

"Okay, I'm staying outside as far from the other people as possible with Miles if you need me. Parties really aren't my thing," I admitted to him.

Cameron shook his head. "Same here, if we're all being honest. I'll be back in a few minutes, permitting I don't get stuck in the house."

"Alright," I said dully.

Cameron observed the area before he made his way through the throngs of people and disappeared almost instantly among the cheerful, drunk kids. I turned to look at Miles who returned my look.

"What exactly is a party?" he asked and even though his face was calm he had that same gleam of awkwardness in his eye that Cameron had had.

"It's a social thing where people meet and talk and hook up," I said shrugging and gesturing to the array of people who were within sight. Most of them were laughing and a few were kissing and wrapped around each other. A couple of them watched us walk by wordlessly.