Losing Control Isn't Always Fun 3

Start from the beginning

"Hilarious for me, love muffin," he said.

"But it wasn't sweet pea," I said.

"It was for me, Ree-shee-bear," he said.

"But Angel face! I thought you only wanted my happiness!" I said.

"I do-..." he turned pale. "Dammit!"

"Ha! Winner!" I said too loudly. Rusty came and raised my arm up in victory.

"Congrats, champ," Rusty said. "But now you have to get back to work."

I looked at the clock.

"I have twenty minutes left," I said to Kyle. "Do you want to hang around and make work less boring for me?"

"Sure," he said. "What should we do?"

"Technically, as an employee, I'm not allowed to suggest this, but Rusty doesn't have to know," I said, leaning on the counter closer to Kyle.

"What does Rusty not have to know?" Rusty asked, leaning next to me. "Ooh! A secret! I love secrets! Tell me!"

I looked at him, knowing that I was busted.

"Kyle, order something or go sit in the corner," Rusty said. "Kid, you have to get back to work."

"Okay," I said, realizing that if I didn't have Rusty as a boss, I could have very possibly been fired. That scared the living hell out of me, so I finished up my shift following all the rules and putting on a fake smile for the customers.

"Way to go, Ky," I said. "You almost got me fired!"

"Sorry," he said. "Are you mad?"

I looked at him.

"No," I said. "I'm not mad."

"Good," he said, hugging me.

I got into my pickup truck and started driving behind Kyle to the school.

I followed him to the parking spot that he was obviously planning on taking, and I revved my engine inching forward quickly. So that his bumper wasn't damaged, he drove forward quickly, and I took the parking spot.

With a smirk on my face, I grabbed my backpack from the seat beside me, and got out of the car.

"Yeah, you know what? Shut up," Kyle said, mocking my smirk, which in turn made me laugh.

"I have to go check my grades online," I said.

I didn't have a computer, and even though the ones at school were Mac's original Macintosh, it was the only computer I had access to.