Chapter 2

He clasped his hand with mine and the room started spinning. The rapid movement caused my insides to churn. To my horror the dreadful spinning continued for what seemed like hours. Just when I felt I got used to it everything abruptly stopped. 

I looked around. I was in the most grandeur room I had ever seen. Houses in the magazine didn't compare. The ceilings attempted to kiss the heavens. The walls were painted an enchanting gray, almost silver color. Beneath my feet were pristine, shiny, slightly slippery marble tiles.  Fine furniture composed of precious gems and gold occupied the space. Everything looked absolutely spectacular.

"Wow! What is this place?" I asked while still gaping at my beautiful surroundings.

Gabriel spread his arms, "Welcome to judging of the souls."

I frowned remembering my unexpected death. A wave of sadness washed over me. I took a deep sigh to prevent myself from crying again. Trying to come to terms with my fate I asked "What do I have to do?"

He pointed to the long line of people. "You have to wait your turn to be brought in front of the judges, who judge your soul. I will stay here with you until that happens."

I joined the massive line and got lost in my thoughts. The burning question on my mind was, would anyone miss me? I didn't know how Devlin and my family would cope when they got the news. I felt bad for them. I could hardly believe it myself. There were so many things I wanted to do, but they were never going to happen now. I know I had to accept that, but I didn't want to.

Gabriel must have noticed my somber mood because he said, "I know you are sad, but cheer up your destiny awaits."

I didn't want to "Cheer up",  I could be going to hell for all I knew. Gabriel meant well, so I gave a weak smile in return. Glancing up at his face I took into account what he looked like. When we first meet my eyes were blurred by my immense tears. He looked Hispanic with caramel colored skin and thick, soft, black hair. I found his brown eyes captivating. It was hard to take my attention away from him.

That made me think about Devlin. His eyes were an electric green and I felt like I could get lost for days in them. I was really going to miss him. I would miss the way he did a pained laugh whenever I tried to tell a joke. I would miss the way we would cuddle on our couch and watch television when we couldn't sleep. I would miss when he would go out at all hours of to get me chocolate caramel ice-cream when I was feeling down. I would miss him, everything about him. I would also miss my family. I remember when I would stay up late with my mother to help her bake while my dad was fast asleep in his bed. I remember when my dad and I would go on our early morning runs when he would attempt to keep up with me. Those were all great memories, but it hurt to think about them. It only reminded me of what I had lost.

By the time my legs turned to jelly from standing for too long a voice commanded,"Lilianna Rose Amoretti, you may enter."

Jolts of nervousness ran through my veins. I slowly opened the door, expecting the unexpected. I walked into a pitch dark room. The only thing I could hear was the echo of my steps. Lights suddenly turned on and I faced three men sitting on golden thrones. They were identical with red, flowing hair put in a neat ponytail. They had thick, long, red beards and matching stern expressions making them seem intimidating. 

The first judge asked, "Do you know what you are here for?"

I trembled and stuttered which was something that didn't happen to me often. It was something about them that made me feel uneasy. I couldn't quite put my finger on it."Yes sir. I---um---I--- um, I am here so you can...um...determine whether I go to heaven or hell."

The second judge nodded his head, "Good."

They held out their hands and a bright light emitted from them. That light created some sort of video where I could see all of the important moments of my short life. Everything from my birth to my first job was on display. I watched the moment where Devlin proposed to me. A smile took over my lips as I remembered the excitement, happiness and disbelief I felt when he dropped on one knee in the middle of a crowded restaurant. Usually I hated public displays of affection but I was so overjoyed that he wanted to marry me, I made an exception.

The montage of my life stopped abruptly when the lights from the judge's hands flickered away. They stared at their hands with a puzzled look on their face. 

 "Is there something wrong?" I asked.

The third judge had a grim expression on his face. "I am afraid so. We should see all pivotal moments in our life then a verdict should be given to us. Everything ended, without a verdict."

"What does that mean?"

"We wanted to make sure, but if our suspicions are correct a supernatural had something do with your death." He answered me.

I didn't know what to think, this was all new to me. "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" I asked.

He scratched his head, "It usually can go either way, but the being that interfered with your death is a great source of darkness and that is never good."

"Since you all can't get a judgment, what does that mean for me?"

"That means you have to figure out which supernatural had an interference with your death. You will have a year to figure all of that out or your soul will go to Limbo."

"What is Limbo?"

"That is the Realm of the Restless also known as Limbo. When your soul is in Limbo, it will remain there finding no destruction or no peace, just stuck there."

I internally shuddered. "That doesn't sound good. I assume you are all very powerful men, why can't you all figure out what supernatural had a part in my death?"

"We are powerful, but our power has limits. We can sense certain kinds of magic, but can't identify the being that it came from."

I sighed and asked, "So who is going to help me figure all of this out?" I felt that it was all ridiculous. I had just learned I was dead and now I had problems passing over? Why couldn't it be simple? Did the universe have it out for me? What did I do to deserve this?

"Well your guiding angel, of course. That is what he there for, to guide. We have to send you off, but he should be right outside."

"Okay, thank you." I nodded my head in appreciation.

"You are welcome, it is our job. Be safe and good luck." They said in unison, waving to me goodbye.

With that, I went to find Gabriel. When he saw me his jaw dropped to the floor.

"Why are you here? You were supposed to be gone already." He said with his eyes bugging out of his head.

"There has been an interference in my death by a supernatural." I stated.

"What kind of magic was used in your death?" He asked.

"Dark magic."

His facial expression dropped. "Hold onto my hand, we have to go somewhere," He with the utmost urgency.