Chapter Seventeen

Sadie's POV

Emery could never sneak quietly into our room. Her tip toeing was about as quiet as walking across a carpet made of chips and not to mention she always tried to close our bedroom door when she came in. How polite. 

Kent's arms were wrapped around my stomach, spooning me as I carefully peeked out from under the covers to glance at my daughter. We never told her that we were awake before she jumped on us, that would just ruin all of the fun. 

"Mom! Dad! Wake up! It's Christmas!" Emery screamed, taking the last few steps to our bed and jumping in the middle of Kent and I. her elbow successfully sank into my side and her knee landed on Kent's thigh, giving him a charlie horse. 

"Ouch, Em move you crazy monkey," There was no anger in his voice as he threw the covers off the top half of our bodies and grabbed Emery to pull her down into bed with us. "Besides, it's way too early. I doubt Santa has even been here yet," 

"He has too!" Emery screamed again, leaning away from the two of us. I couldn't help but chuckle along with Kent at our daughters horrified expression. "I already saw all the presents!"

"What presents? I thought you were on the naughty list this year," I poked fun at her too and she turned to me with a smug smile, her loose tooth barely hanging on. 

"I was a Princess this year, right dad?" She crossed her arms confidently and turned for her father's reassurance. 

"Right," Kent groaned, still trying to wake up. That was one thing Kent and I did not have in common, once I woke up I was up for good, there was no more sleep for me. Kent on the other hand has to set at least six alarms to even get up on time in the morning. That's if he's lucky enough to get up after the 6th alarm goes off. 

"Come on, I want to open presents!" Emery jumped back off the bed and tugged on the sheets so that they fell off the bed, then proceeded to grab my wrist and tug. Thank goodness we had gotten dressed again last night after we had our alone time or else Em might just have been scarred for life. 

We slowly followed our hyper child into the living room where our tree was set up and glowing. It was only 6:34 in the morning and the sun was barely coming up. 

Kent grabbed the Santa hat that we had bought three years ago and put it on, it was our tradition. He grabbed the biggest present for Emery first and she tore the wrapping off it in two seconds flat. It was the brand new bicycle Kent and I had picked out two months ago. Her first bike. 

The squeal of excitement filled the room as she threw her arms around Kent and I, hugging and kissing and thanking us before sitting back down and waiting for her next present. 

It didn't even take an hour to get through all of our presents. Kent had gotten me a new cooking pot set, they were baby blue so I could finally get rid of some of the hand-me-downs from my parents. He also got me a new necklace, a few packs of earrings, a knife set, brand new workout clothes and pajamas, and last he had gotten me a ring with Emery's birthstone set in the middle. I felt so extremely spoiled. 

Kent didn't go without though. I had bought him new socks for works, a few new shirts and slacks, some ties of all sorts of colors, a big red tool box from Home Depot, a phone case, a special bowl that would hold his keys and wallet so he would stop setting them random places and losing them, a nice watch and some of his favorite spicy sauces from Trader Joes. 

Emery was surrounded by all of her new toys, clothes and shoes she was nearly covered. I had never felt more thankful at this moment, beside the fact that my head was killing me and I was absolutely starving. 

"Alright, time to make some breakfast!" Kent announced, beginning to stand and letting some of his socks fall from his lap where they had been sitting. We always made red dyed pancakes with chocolate chips and whipped cream for Christmas morning, along with green dyed hashbrowns and bacon. 

"Wait, I have one more gift for you," I said before Kent could go anywhere. "It's for you and Emery actually," 

I got up quickly and rushed back to our room where I opened the top drawer of my dresser and grabbed the small box that had been sitting in there for two days now. Wrapped in shiny red and green striped wrapping with a big white bow nearly the size of the whole box on it. 

"Here, open it together," I handed Kent the box when I got back to the living room and sat down to watch. 

Kent looked at me curiously, with a smile on his face before he and Emery both tore what little wrapping paper there was off the box and opened the lid. 

My heart nearly stopped beating as I watched Kent's expression. At first it didn't register, only a confused look but within a couple seconds Kent's whole face changed. With wide eyes his head snapped up to look at me. I could see his eyes beginning to get red and his whole face had gotten rosy. 

"You mean you're. . ." He couldn't seem to finish his sentence. Emery sat beside him holding the stick in her hands with the same confused look on her face that her dad had just moment before. Kent's eyes trailed slowly down my body to land on my stomach then, suddenly he was in front of me. On his knees, his arms wrapped around my waist. When I saw that he was nearly in tears I couldn't stop myself from crying. Tears of joy. 

"Yes, I'm pregnant," I announced. Emery had slowly inched towards the two of us and was standing beside her dad, one hand on my leg and the other on his shoulder. Kent bowed his head and rested it against my lap. 

"Does this mean I'm going to have a baby brother?" Emery asked, her eyes big with curiosity. 

"We won't find out if it's a boy or girl for a couple more months love," I explained and Emery cheered up. 

"Well, I would be fine with either one really. As long as they like to play with me too," She skipped off to start carrying her things to her room. 

I reached down and lifted Kent's head and kissed him. 

Before I had the chance to say anything the door bell was suddenly ringing. I'm sure it was my parents, although they were really early. It was only 7:15 now and usually they didn't come over until around at least noon. 

"It's probably my parents," I said to Kent. He moved off of me as I stood to go open the door. 

"Do they know yet?" Kent asked, following me to the front door. 

"No not yet, I wanted you guys to know first," 

"We should tell them today, I think they would love the surprise," Kent's reaction to my announcement was different than I had expected. Of course I had expected him to be happy but I also was expecting a little bit more stress. Then again it hasn't been that long since he found out, I'm sure the stress will begin settling in before the day is over. 

I agreed with Kent and reached to open the door. 

"Merry Christmas!" 

Kent and I both stared at each other in shock. Kent was as white as a ghost. 

Ryan and Charlie were standing in front of us, holding a couple of bags of presents and a food dish of some sort. 

"Well?" Charlie was the one to speak. "Aren't you going to invite a few old friends in?"