-Forty Two: Teenage Angst-

Sirius leapt up as Remus trudged dejectedly into the dormitory, hitting James on the arm. Peter also shot to his feet, but tripped, landing face first on the carpet. Mutely, Remus helped his friend to his feet, and continued his funeral walk over to his bed where, without looking at the others, he began undoing the laces on his shoes, offering no explanation for his sudden appearance, ignoring the stares that followed his every movement.

"Moony?" James asked hesitantly.

Remus looked at him blankly. "What?"

"You're back!" Sirius finished with a grin that quickly slipped off his face as the mood in the room refused to change.

"Yay me." Remus lay back in his bed.

"What happened?" Peter squeeked from his place.

"Yeah, what did she do?" James added, exchanging a concerned look with Sirius.

"Nothing." Remus muttered, "Absolutely nothing. Whatever you thought she was up to, she wasn't."

"Are you sure?" Sirius piped up, "Because she could be lying to y-"

"Trust me." The grave of Dean Blacksmith flashed in Remus's mind, a stone pillar of loss, along with Helia's outstretched hand, reaching down toward the dirt.

...........

The whole castle was buzzing with the news of Helia and Remus's return. Hogwarts, like most schools, was a breeding ground for gossip and rumours, and these flourished under the influence of the most generally nice boy and the most unlikable girl disappearing together for two days and acting like nothing had happened upon their return.

"Wont he ever shut up?"

Jade leant her head against the table as the sound of Martin Flint's nasally voice cut through the Great Hall. Helia refused to look at the Slytherin boy, though it would be hard to escape his speech, like a dagger behind her eyes.

"It's like I always said to father: If you're going to let them live in the same conditions as purebloods, then you should at least keep them away from us, you know? A wall, perhaps, or a separate floor. It just makes sense. Of course, my father discovered that the hard way..."

Helia slammed her book closed, standing up abruptly. "I can't listen to him."

"I don't blame you." Jade's narrowed eyes followed Flint as he gestured widely.

Lin, however, frowned. "He's the only one in Slytherin who acts like a decent human to Bella." She pointed out.

"So?" Jade asked. "You can be a dick and still be accepting. The two aren't mutually exclusive."

"I'm just saying," Lin pressed, "You're probably going to have to get used to him, with Bella and all..."

"Yeah, yeah. I get it." Jade said, completely unaware of the two people no longer in the room, until, that is, she turned to ask Helia a question at the same time as realising the very voice she had been complaining about was silent.

...........

"Hello, there. If it isn't the physical proof that the phrase 'no one's stupid enough to do that' is incorrect. Are you planning on moving, or have you finally decided to read a book and in doing so to cosplay as those statues from Narnia? Because, by the way, if it's the latter, I know a lot of people who would be rather pleased by this sudden turn in events. I could write you a list if you want." Helia glanced down at the thick notebook in her hands. "Though I might need more paper."

Martin Flint growled, not moving from his place in front of her in the narrow stairway.

"And now he's Aslan. Wonderful." Helia muttered. "Ladies and gentlemen, the creature of many talents, Mr Martin Flint!"