Chapter Thirty-One

SONG: Anna of The North - Playing Games

🌺

Derek Matthews

Elias Banks's actions were not the result of an everlasting affliction, hardship and rage common amid his brethren, amid his kind. It was the result of a shrewd, serpentine plan that must have taken hours to devise. He knew that murdering an estimable identity possessing a status and power rare and unlike any other will unleash a global backlash of perplexity and grief.

Because his little brother acknowledging the Decemviri, the Decagon, the Families — whatever you want to term it — is jeapordizing.

Luke never killed Bodie Banks.

It was the Everstons.

The Everstons would have offered Bodie a deal — make him famous, straightforwardly manifest his desires into reality in order to shut up. If the deal with the devils was unsuccessful, death was the last option.

What perilous knowledge died in his murder?

Was it an Everston decision, or a Decagon decision? If it was the former, then Lord Cyril Everston must have ordered the death. He has the final voice.

I suppose Lord Cyril isn't a sweet soul you claim him to be, Penny—

My heart pounds.

Penny.

God, does she know? Has she guessed? She must have. She's a smart girl. I should give her a heads up. No, my protective side argues. Don't. She's too young. Let her live.

If Bodie was truly killed by our family, during the night watch, someone on the inside killed him. A prison guard, which also means they were potentially bribed, like Tanner concluded. The prison guards are part of the Azrael.

Could we have a betrayer lurking?

Whatever Bodie was aware, it is adequate to start a revolution — which is currently occurring in the streets. Miniscule, trifling, trying to rise. If the killer were to be revealed, it still won't end this blood. We will dig, dive, run, hide and slaughter to manipulate impossibilities into possibilities, for our advantage.

What about Bodie's sexual offence?

A migraine forms.

Parking the motorcycle in an empty area of the school's parking lot, I unfastened the helmet, dangling it on an arm. In school, April's portrait of Bodie Banks was taken down, resulting in the teachers bewildered as to how such sensational hard work was directly visible to the naked eye. Principal Burrows sustained the embarrassment and vexation, albeit it was perfectly obvious as his cheeks were flushed red.

Naila and Jasmine enlightened a new dilemma. Despite the vivid, skin-chilling sunlight, the mood darkened.

Theo apprehensively skims his angst-veined hands through his hair. "Self-harming."

"I know," mutters Jasmine, stormy eyes crestfallen.

For the first time in a long, agonizing while, I am speechless.

"So what should we do?" asks Theo. "Because ... I really don't know."

"Neither do I," mumbles Ines.

"We help her help herself," answers Tanner.

"She has to love herself first," I manage to clarify. "Be comfortable in her own presence. That progress can lead to better outcomes, like security."

"Half-term is starting soon," says Naila. "I was thinking we could go to your lake house..."