Chapter 7 What's the Worse That Could Happen for Liking Someone?

I woke up the next day and had to drag myself through my morning routine because I was so tired. The only thing making me stay awake was the smell of coffee as it brewed. I made my cup of coffee and hopped in my car to head to class. I could hear my brakes every time I had to stop and I knew it was time to change them, especially after last night.

Calculus went by slowly and became more boring by the minute. I had already done this homework so I had two hours to doze off. In fact, the poor kid next to me had to wake me up at the end of the notes our professor was doing. The next class happened to be my favorite; chemistry. I thought it was so much fun with all of the experiments and chain reactions, plus my professor was the best I had ever encountered.

It sadly sped by quickly and it was time for work. The whole day seemed to drag on heavily. My heart felt like it was beating to out of its normal rhythm than it had last week. The only thing I could thinik of was too much coffee or I was going to die from a heart attack. Whichever came first was fine with me really.

When I walked in Cara gave me a snide look, even though I had arrived on time just to spite the bitch. I went to the back room to see Becca smiling as she texted on her phone.

“Why are you so up and uppity?” I asked and she beamed at me brightly.

“Sam and I are going on a date because we lost yesterday! I’M SO EXCITED, WE’RE GOING ON Thursday!” She said jumping up and down. I smiled at her and suddenly her face dropped when she saw my lack of enthusiasm.

“Marina what’s wrong?” She asked with concern etched in her face.

“I don’t know, I’ve just been down all day,” I said with a shrug.

“Maybe it’s because you blew Kyle off last night,” She said bumping her shoulder into mine. At the mention of his name my heart seemed to speed up tremendously and I became flushed. Stop it Marina that’s not normal, my head seemed to echo throughout the empty space that occupied my body.

“Are you ok? You look like you just ran a marathon,” She said confused as I smiled at her.

“I’m fine I promise.”

“Well good, because I took it upon myself to set up a date for you and Kyle. I already scheduled it for Friday night, he’s picking you up at eight,” She said walking out of the locker room. I ran after her and yanked her back so she would walked next to me.

“You did what?!” I said exasperated and utterly horrified. I would rather deal with him stalking me another time, just so I could break his neck and get him out of the way. But seriously, that was my plan.

“Yea, I called him this morning and told him you would be too stubborn to set it up yourself so I did it for you. He sounded so excited Mar,” She said before walking into Dr. Rogers’ office with a dreamy look on her face. She had to stop reading those stupid romance books at the damn grocery store. She wasn’t thirty and alone yet. I sighed before slowly walking away to find Carly.

“Jesus look what the cat dragged in, what’s the matter with you?” Carly asked stunned as she stood with a dog in an examination room. The baby cocker spaniel wagged its tail at the sight of me and I smiled as I came over to pet him. The owner looked confused as I scooped up the small puppy and brought him in the back to check for a chip in case they stole him and weighed him. He was a hyper little puppy who would squirm excitedly on the scale, making it a difficult reading so I fudged it a little bit.  When I brought him back in Carly finished examining him and prescribed him medication for the round worm infecting his organs.

“So are you going to answer me or no?” She asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with me! I mean I went to bed late last night, but I can’t figure it out. And then I just found out that Becca set me up with this guy I just hooked up with and raced last night that almost killed me. I blew up in his face and I don’t know whether I’m happy or pissed at myself because I did that,” I told her exasperated and she smiled at me.

“It sounds like you are starting to like this bad boy,” She said changing her smile into a smirk.

“I would never allow myself to go so low as to even consider him as plausible boyfriend material,” I said with an air of confidence in my answer. And I could almost convince myself if it didn’t feel like a giant lie was  leaving my body.

“You know you can let yourself like the boy. It’s not like it could amount to anything. I mean come on, what trouble did you ever get in for liking a guy?” She said standing still in front of our next examination room.

“My dad almost had his friends kill the guy who took my virginity. He wouldn’t have found out if he hadn’t bugged my car when I was telling my friends about it,” I said with a shrug. She blinked at me before chuckling.

“Are you sure you want to become a vet? Because that imagination of yours is absolutely bat crazy,” She said as she laughed her ass off whilst opening the door to the next patients room.

If only she knew I wasn’t telling stories…

-----

Hey guys! I'm gonna start slowing down on the uploading, because I need to write more :) I have had these chapters written up, but I need to start writing again haha. Thanks for reading!