Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I have a tricky schedule. 

Mostdays after school, I have to go to McDonald's, and sometimes I don't even have time to go home before I have to head to Dirty Girls. My shifts at McDonald's, so long, for so little. I get a free burger everyday, which is good cause, hey, free food. And when I work morning I get a free bagel or something. And if I get really hungry in the day, I steal some fries (I LOVE McDonald's fries! Not a fan of burgers of chicken nuggets, but those fries...)

Now, if I do get a chance to run home between jobs, I have to check on James. James usually stays in our apartment, but he's supposed to eat, and be done with his homework before dark. If I'm not home by dark, he has to go to Mrs. Coppers apartment, and wait there. 

I always hate not even being able to check up on him. He's just a kid, the best kid, and he deserves an easier life.

Mom's the reason he has such a hard life. She's the reason for everything bad in our lives.

Also, If I get back between jobs, I have to cram in as much homework as possible. If I don't finish my homework before I have to go to Dirty Girls, I have two options: Stay up late and do it, or wake up early and do it. Neither are very appealing. 

I stood at the register, thinking about all this, when Mrs. Copper came barging in. I stood up straighter, and saw that she was dragging James behind her.

"Mrs. Copper!" I said, coming out from behind the counter. "What are you doing here?"

"It's my bingo night," She answered simply.

She didn't look like she was heading to bingo. On the contrary, she looked ready for another night in, wearing her same old pinkish-gray night robe and slippers, her hair in a shower cap (A shower cap???)

"Well, what about James?" I asked, looking down at my little brother. He looked up at me with his big brown eyes.

"I don't know!" She said, throwing her hands up in the air. "I am overworked!" Then she turned and stomped out of the McDonald's.

I opened my mouth to say something, but she was already gone. I looked down at James, who had his hands shoved in his pockets, and seemed to be very interested in the fryer.

I sighed, and rubbed my temples. "I'm leaving early," I said after a minute. "Ally, cover for me."

"You can't just... just... LEAVE!" Cath cried, her arms waving around her in a crazy attempt to make me understand that if I didn't stay at McDonald's, the world was going to be atacked by zombies.

"Sorry Cath," I said. "Oh, and I'll take 2 Big Macs to go."

Cath was staring at me with such rage, her eye was twitching. "You. Can't. Go." She said. "I won't allow it."

"Chill OUT Cath," Ally said, handing me my Big Macs. "Would you like anything to drink with that?"

"Nope," I said, throwing my apron on the counter.

"Hey," Ally said to James, nodding towards him.

"Hi," James said. "You work hear two."

"Everyday," Ally said with a sigh.

 "Ok, we gotta go," I said, taking James' hand.

"NO!" Cath said.

"I'll be here bright and early tomorrow, I promise," I said, as I reached the door.

"BUT-"

The door closed before she could finish (though I imagine it would involve some colorful language that wouldn't be too pleasant to hear). I looked at James. "You ok?"

James nodded. "Why was Mrs. Copper so mad?"

"Because she's just a grumpy old lady," I said simply.

"When will she stop watching me?" 

I took a moment before saying, "When Mommy gets home."

After another moment of silence James whispered, "When's that."

"I dunno kid," I said with a sigh. "Soon."

---

Why hello there!

Thanks for reading! Vote comment, you know the drill.

XOX