19 | uncover pt.1

Chapter 19: Uncover pt.1
Uncover: verb; discover (something previously secret or unknown
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
19. Uncover pt.1
I woke up with butterfly's in my stomach, and they weren't the ones that Blake would cause when ever he looked at me. No. they where nervous butterfly's. I felt as if I would throw up at the thought of revealing myself to my school. At the sound of my alarm clock I picked it up from my nightstand and chucked it at the nearest wall. It shattered in a million pieces, but I couldn't care less, the same thought clouded my mind.

I took my crutches from the side of my bed and made my way to my bathroom. On the counter top payed my green field uniform. The camo glared at me hauntingly. I put it on and slid my hair into a tight bun. I fastened my camo hat on and smiled at my reflection.

Last but not least I proudly put on my favorite price of jewelry I own,

My dog tags.

They proudly showed my rank and name on the metal slab. I made sure they lay safely around my neck before I exited my room. After I made my way downstairs I entered the kitchen. The smell of pancakes calmed my nerves as I sat down. I was looking forward to my moms reaction to the fact that I was in my uniform, she hasn't seen me in it since Coles Funeral.

She turned around from her position at the sink to see me sitting at the breakfast bar and she dropped her now clean bowl. She gasped and stuttered. "Why-why are you wearing that?"

I put on a brave smile "it's Veterans Day isn't it?"

She nodded and a stream of happy tears filled her eyes. She always wanted me to show the true me she the world, so she was overwhelmed with joy.

I ate breakfast in record time and made my way to my moms car. She hoped in the drivers seat and I positioned myself in shot gun.

"Hey mom, can you drop me off towards the back of the school?"

"Sure honey."

Without asking questions she drove off to my beloved high school-note the sarcasm. We arrived within 5 minutes and I was careful to get out of the car without stabbing anything with my crutch.

Since school wouldn't start for another half an hour, I went straight to the office to drop off my signed sheet saying I'll participate in the Veterans Day activities. Hobbling into the office everyone looked up and gave me shocked expressions at my uniform. The lady at the front desk came up to me. "Can I help you ma'm?"

"I'm here for Veterans Day."

She nodded and pointed to the principles office. I headed straight there and was greeted by 15 other service men in the room. I recognized one face in particular.

"Sergeant Thomas! You haven't exploded anything since I've been gone have you?"

Kurt stood up and walked over to me and enveloped me in a bear hug. "Well if it isn't Dynamite Clarke!"

I smiled at him. "What are you doing here?!"

"My niece invite me for Veterans Day, what are you doing here?"

"Same thing. I though you where still off in Afghanistan?"

"Nope, got break since my tour is done." He said.

Kurt Thomas was my best friend in Afghanistan, we fought through everything together. He was 37 years old and showed no sign of slowing down. He may be well over a two decades older than me, but when your serving everyone is the same age.

After I sat in the chair next to Kurt I surveyed the room to see any other familiar faces. I saw two privates in the corner and I waved. I heard the door slam shut and I saw the last face I wanted to see. There stood Blake Reed, he was wearing a shirt that said Military Academy and blue jeans. I hid behind my hat as he sat down in the back. The next person to arrive was Mr. Turner, he looked around the room and the stood in front of his desk.

"This might sound childish but we'll go around the room and say our names, rank and experience. You might as well get to know each other now, you'll be here for a while." Mr Tuner started

Everyone nodded in agreement. I on the other hand
Was getting more and more nervous as the seconds past.

Blake went first "My names Blake, I don't have a rank because I went to Military school. I though that would count so that's why I'm here."

Everyone nodded and the next person went the closer they got to me the stronger the butterfly's would flap their wings.

"Hi, I'm Sergeant Kurt Thomas, my experience is two tours in Afghanistan."

Everyone nodded their head and some looked at him in awe, after all he was the highest ranked so far.

It was my turn and I gave a nervous glance before taking my hat off and standing up. Blake's expression morphed into confusion, anger, and rage all al the same time. I turned to see Mr. Turners reaction and he stood up. "Mrs. Clarke what are you doing here?"

I rubbed my hands nervously. "Um-m, I'm a Veteran?" The statement came out more like a question than I intended. Mr Turner gave me a look.

"You are?"

It was Kurt who spoke next "She is, she's a prodigy in her field and even outranks me. She's been on 3 tours, so yes, she's a veteran."

Mr Turner gave me a shocked look, but he sat down. I continued "Um, I'm a Colonel and I've been on 3 tours to Afghanistan." I sat down and looked around the room.

My eyes landed on Blake and he looked as confused as hell. Kurt smirked at me. "That's right suckers! She's 4 ranks above all of you and she's 17 years old!"

I laughed out loud at Kurt's remark. Maybe this won't be as bad with him by my side. Once everyone was done introducing themselves Mr. Turner said he will come back when there ready and I was left alone to all the questions being thrown my way.

My two privates, John and David came up to me and laughed. "So I take it you haven't told your fellow classmate about your back ground?" They said pointing to a very out of place Blake.

I patted their backs. "I haven't, today's my announcement to the student body." They laughed "So, when did you guys get back?" I asked

"Two days ago Buttercup." John said.

John was 23 years old and my last tour was his first one, he was only shot once so he got out lucky. He still had 3 more tours to do, but I know he will survive and come back home to his two kids.

"When's your next tour?" I asked John

"6 months from now." He replied.

I nodded than turned to David. "What about you my main man David?"

"Came back the moment you did, but I go back in 2 months." His face turned serious at the subject but I playfully pinched his arm.

"I'll be joining you." I stated

His face lit up "really! How?"

"I'll find a way to be your Colonel, you need one girl out there won't you?"

All three of them nodded their heads in agreement.

Today might not be as bad as I though it would be, I have my best friends here today, what could go wrong?

I though to soon, I felt a tap on my back and that's when I saw Blake's heated glare. "We need to talk."
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
Note: did we just reach #732 in teen fiction! What!? I logged on this morning and thought it was a mistake, I literally logged out and logged back, and refreshed my page to see if it would still be there! I love you all!😍😍❤️🎉
🤔Question: fav book ever?--->
Comment•Vote•Share