Chapter 7

here is my updated map of berk, ive changed "puffin point" to "raven point" and added "the cove". The island itself pretty much looks like it would in the movie franchise, but i may speak of other islands as well.

Map of Berk + Close Islands

Map of The Barbaric Archipelago

I apologize if the format of writing has changed from first person to third, i wrote this chapter in third and later realized that my others were in first (hiccups pov) I might stick with third depending on how this chapter goes

The cool night air sent a bone chilling shiver down his spine. Hiccup had been spending his nights out with Toothless, blatantly offering excuses to his father that they were training instead of sleeping, when really; Hiccup was on lookout for when Toothless went to fly. Hiccup wished himself that he was warmed up in front of the hearth, not shivering to the point of frostbite as the howling winds blew ice-cold air through the forests of Berk.

Berk wasn't a place for night wandering. They were dark and bitter, and the smallest noises could make you jump. The Hairy Hooligans were brave, but to wander at night was mind lurching. The moon cast strange shadows, and the ground constantly shifted below your feet, altering your perception of reality.

But nonetheless, Hiccup held onto whatever wits he had, and pushed through the bitter cold, all in the pursuit of his dragon being unseen.

He rounded behind Ack's Hut, and swiftly moved from next to the next, keeping watch for flight patrolling vikings. Everyone knew dragon's were meant to fly; in general, it is what made them dragons, but their freedoms on Berk were altered. Any trained dragon belonging to any viking was forbidden of flight, curtesy of a story almost every viking on the island knew. And Hiccup knew it more well than most.

Valka Haddock was a resident of Berk from birth, and was born and raised as an only child. As a teenager, she trained with her peers and her dragon, a stormcutter hatchling whom she called CloudJumper. CloudJumper was a loyal dragon, and very calm despite his threatening size. He was well disciplined, and never did anything out of the ordinary. The story goes that one night, only a few days after the birth of her son, Valka had been putting CloudJumper to bed, when suddenly, he sprung out of nowhere and grasped the mother of Hiccup Haddock in his talons. When Stoick heard the cries of his wife, he rushed outside to see her well over the ocean, grasping onto the talons of her great dragon.

In the fear of any of his people being taken from him again, Stoick had banned the flight of domestic dragons, but allowed those free to do what they pleased. If anybody caught a trained dragon in flight and had proof, the owner would be either exiled, or have their dragons clipped of their maneuverability fins or frills.

By the time Hiccup caught up with reality, Toothless was well above the trees, circling and dancing through the clouds surrounding Berk's tallest mountain cliffs. He was practically invisible in the night sky, but Hiccup had trained his eyes to see darkness flying among star patterns and the movement of his dragon within the moonlit clouds. He continued walking along the foot of the village until he froze in place, hearing a rhythmic sound of crunching feet and the echo of muttering voices rounding the corner.

Hiccup dove into the brush, and clucked his tongue, calling out to Toothless in dragonese. The two patrols rushed in Hiccup's general direction, but gave up out of lack of interest when they couldn't find him.

The kid's eyes returned to the skies to see Toothless spiralling down around the mountain instead of divebombing directly at Hiccup, as the wind whistling through his spines created a earpiercing screech that was unmistakable. Hiccup had yet to find that out the hard way.

Straining his view to look for the patrol guards, Hiccup poked his head out of the rough foliage. Once he determined they were both finally out of earshot, he clicked his tongue once, a call for Toothless to land. Quietly removing himself from the bush he had previously dove into, Hiccup entered back into the dark night; Toothless' strikingly green eyes glinting like an eerie torch in the moonlight as the dragon approached him.

The hair on the back of the young boy's neck raised; the dragon looked menacing. Nothing less of a spawn of lightning and death itself. The dragon was terrifying; Hiccup had to admit, and it only sparked his curiosity further. The dragon was well capable of seeing in the dark, Hiccup established - and was also bragged too about. Toothless had told his friend just about everything that he could do, including that he had a cunning sense of hearing, keen senses and a strange ability Hiccup liked to call echolocation. One which Toothless could send out a system of sound waves, and they would make their way back to him, alerting him of anything in the span of a nearby area.

Toothless was also one of the fastest dragons Hiccup had ever seen fly. Though, stating that with his only source of records was those of the dragons that played tag around Wild Dragon Cliff. There were some pretty competitive little dragons, Hiccup had to admit.

"Ready to go home?" Hiccup said out loud in norse.

Toothless warbled a yes in reply, and lowered his shoulder to allow Hiccup to hop on. The quicker they got home, the better.

Toothless took a lateral leap, and launched into the sky, the two soaring past a system of small huts. Suddenly, the wind was knocked out of Hiccup, and a searing pain jostled through his shoulder as something solid rattled the joint. Hiccup thought he had fallen off of his companion; slipped, somehow; but it wasn't until he realized that they were both falling that something, was utterly, horribly, wrong.

"Well, what do we have 'ere?" Hiccup heard through the ringing in his ears, "Oo, Stoick won't be happy to see this."

Hiccup was suddenly shoved onto his back, now realizing a bola had enveloped its way around the two of them. How had he not heard it launch? Unless it was hand-thrown.

"Don'cha know that flying is forbidden around here?" Hiccup meekly nodded his head.

His vision was spotted with black at the edges from the fall, only able to see the piercing glow of the torches, "Well, guess that means Toothless here is going to be in a treat for a little wing-clipping, eh?"

THIS IS SO BAD I AM SO SORRY I JUST WANTED TO WRITE SOMETHING BECAUSE I FELT SO BAD :(

on a side note; would you guys like more sneak peaks/little chapters for Heir of Dragons? If you haven't checked out the chapter "but the blood on my hands, scares me to death" under jotted notes, you should check there for information, my tumblr also has alot more (linked in bio)

thanks for your time!

i have no idea when the next chapter will be updated, but hopefully soon!