Chapter 7A

Glancing at the big clock for the umpteenth time, Jade shook her head. She was the only one in the office; the whole three floors that COLBY occupied were empty, well except for the floor that she was. The heavy rain outside didn't show any sign of letting up soon. The clock read 6:30pm. She was supposed to leave by 5:00pm. She had been alone in the office now for about an hour and thirty minutes. When the other co-workers had seen the signs of an intending storm, they'd hurriedly left, but not before offering her a ride. She'd politely declined, not wanting to burden anyone.

She'd planned to call home and ask Bob to pick her up. The only thing she hadn't counted on was that there'd be no network signal on her phone and other phones in the building. Now, stranded and hungry, she was scared and alone, missing the comfort of Macy's warm cocoa and fresh blankets by the fire.

She sighed ruefully, wishing that she'd accepted the offers of ride that all her co-workers were kind enough to extend except of course Nick. She supposed he was too busy hurrying to meet Jessica for dinner to care to help her. Anyway, she though with pure annoyance, good riddance. She wouldn't want to be stuck with him again. After he'd come back in from accompanying Jessica to the elevator, he'd spoken to her in clipped and cold tones. They'd worked in silence until the task was completed.

With nothing to do but wait for the rain to stop, she'd worked, worked and worked until the there was no more work left. She was going to be having a lot of free time within the week as she completed most of her assignment in advance. Rubbing her neck and arms, she reclined her seat and leaned in to relax. Wow, the seat was so soft and welcoming; maybe she'd just rest her eyes for a moment.............. .

Jade felt the earthquake tremors again roughly this time. She struggled and made strangled groans to avoid going under.

Oh God! Please don't let me die like this. I'm too young to die! She tried to escape what was holding her down, but it was too strong. She feared it was going to crush her and...And oh God.

"Wake up Jade! Jade? Wake up honey... It's okay".

Startled green eyes met worried gray.

Shock made her still. Nick? Surely, it was him. Even though everywhere was pitch dark, there was no way she'd mistake those eyes and voice. Pitch dark? She sat up immediately. She'd fallen asleep! Looking up again into Nick's eyes, he was staring at her. And he was angry. Really angry. Instinctively, Jade moved back in her seat.

Why was he mad?

Well she hadn't done anything wrong.

"What're you still doing here?"

"Nothing...I want doing anything!"

"Don't lie to me Jade!" he spoke harshly.

"I swear...nothing! The rain...and...And...There wasn't any bus...so I was waiting for it to stop...so-".

"You fell asleep" he finished for her.

"I'll be right back," he said, going into his office.

Jade stood up, unprepared to wait for him. Gathering her things, she headed towards the elevator. The rain wasn't as heavy as before. Her phone was still unconnected, but the digital clock was 7:16pm. The whole floor was dark, save for one or two dimmed lights. As the door of the elevator shut, she heard Nick come out from his office.

Thank God, she thought. He'd have to wait for another one or take the stairs, which was crazy. They were on the fifteenth floor! By then she would have been long gone.

Resting against the wall, she contemplated the odds. Well, she'd just run to the bus station and take a bus. The rain wasn't heavy enough for her to catch a cold. Stepping out on the ground floor, she looked around, satisfied to see that no one like Nick was around. She stepped into the street, cringing at the first whip of the pelting rain against her skin. In no time at all, she was drenched and shaking, she kept going. When she almost got to the bus station, she could see from afar, not a single bus was in sight.

Oh, this was bad, really bad. Especially as she could see Nick's jaguar coming down the road. And from the way he drove, he was looking for her and he'd found her.

Stopping a few feet away, he got out of the car mindless of the rain still pouring.

The fury she saw in his eyes made her heart race.

He got to her and held her by the shoulder, shaking her.

"Dammit Jade! I told you to wait for me!" he said dragging her away with him to the passenger side.

Not caring that she was wet to the bones, he put her none too gently in the car on his expensive handmade leather seat. He was still cursing when he came around to the driver side and got in with her.

"Do you ever listen?" he said, staring daggers at her. Jade was too busy shivering to answer.

He gripped the wheel until his knuckles became white.

He turned on the car heater and pulled a few blankets from the back seat to cover her.

"Damn stubborn woman" he muttered, tucking her into her seat.

***********************************************************

Thanks for reading!

Please vote, comment!