Chapter 20

Jace POV

It was pretty awkward when we drove. Well... I didn't drive, Cain did. I thought his name matched very good with his personality, everything I had seen from it, and his appearance. Since the name sounded like he was a dragon or something.

Clary had said to everyone who to drive with, but when she came to me, she waited a few moments. I wondered why. Maybe because she tried to control her anger. She had finally decided that I had to go with Cain. The one who death treated me half an hour ago.

Susan was with Rick, her hands wrapped around his waist, very tight, too tight if you had a boyfriend who could see you. But surprising enough, I wasn't jealous. I even smiled when I saw it. Maybe I had a reason now to break up with her. If I caught her cheating on me with him I could explain it to the others. Even more important, I could explain it to myself, I wouldn't break her heart then. It would be her fault then. I decided that I wanted her to cheat on me.

My hands laid on the shoulders of Cain, and I tried to not touch him too much. But in bents I couldn't do otherwise than grip tighter.

A million of questions were blowing through my mind.

Why didn't they just kill me if they hated me so much?

Was one of the guy Delight's Clary's boyfriend, Parabatai, fiancé or husband? The most likely for that were the first and second one. Cain and Rick.

I shuddered and shook my head. I had no right to think any of that. Clary wasn't mine anymore.

"You definitely have no right," Cain said. It was weird that I could just hear him, without him needing to scream because of the wind.

Mind reading. Pretty scary.

"You'll get used to it," Cain said.

"How the Hell do you do that?" I yelled, unlike the calm guy in front of me.

"You don't have to yell, idiot, I can hear you perfectly,"

"Are you going to answer me?" I asked, just talking, believing the first row guy, ugh... Cain. When I used his real name it was like I couldn't pretend that this was a dream, or nightmare, anymore.

"I think I would think it's a nightmare, too, if I were you, "Cain said.

"Still not answering me?" I asked annoyed.

"You know, you're very annoying. Too arrogant." Cain's voice was childish, like he was speaking to a three year old child. But, I remembered, he was 6500 years old. To him I was like a little child.

"True," Cain said, answering my question.

I rolled my eyes.

"It's a power you get when you become a Delight," Cain explained, finally. "I could have just not told you," he said, reacting to my impatience.

I sighed. "So Clary can read minds too?" I said, half questioning, half knowing it.

"Possible, we all have some powers, but because she's only with us for a short time, hers aren't very developed yet," Cain said.

I narrowed my eyes even though he couldn't see them. "And how long is that short time?" I asked. She had been gone for five years now, so she could be the full five years with them, or a few days.

"I think she would kill me if I told you. She forbid me to talk about it." I wondered if Cain was lying to me, because his voice was the whole time exactly the same, it only went lower and higher sometimes.

"Nobody has ever caught a Delight lying, that doesn't mean that we never lie. There's a huge difference. I have to say that we lie all the time, even when we don't have too, remember that," Cain said.