His Memories

Chapter 19: His Memories

“Memories warm you up from the inside. But they also tear you apart.”  Haruki Murakami

Julian Hartwell

“Isn’t it too cold for you to use those boots?” I hinted to my adopted father as he put on his favored black cowboy boots made of snakeskin.

“The weather is fine and besides you know I can’t go outside without walking with these.” Sam stubbornly grunted to me in which I replied with a sigh.

“Fine if you insist. But please bring these pair of warm boots to be sure.” I said while handing him another pair of boots that looked more comfortable than the ones he chose to wear.

He got up from the chair once he was done before tugging on his long covert coat. He stood there ready and prepared with his bag of necessities, a double barrel shotgun inside a holster in his back and his brimmed cowboy hat – today was his hunting day.

It was his tradition, or should I say his hobby, to go hunting when the winter season had started.

“I’ll be back tomorrow.” he reminded me as he took the warm boots from me before walking to the door. I nodded in response and watched him left.

Today was Saturday and our tavern was closed during weekends.

So that would mean I would be alone with Lucas for a whole day until Sam return. Well not that I do mind but rather because I was not used to have someone with me in here other than my adopted father. I think it might be because I still didn’t trust him.

I glanced at the cuckoo clock on the wall and it noted to me that it was past five in the morning.

“I guess I should make breakfast.” I muttered to myself.

Then I went to the opposite side behind the bar where the cook stove was. The stove was placed far from the wine barrels and drinks since it could cause fire and accidents. If you may know, the barroom was both our kitchen and dining room too.

Indeed a strange house built for a commoner.

I placed enough wood inside before lighting it up with a match stick and the rest of the preparation goes on. I was busy minding the tea kettle that I failed to notice him going down the staircase already awake.

“Good morning.” Lucas greeted and I snapped my head to his direction surprised.

“Oh... uh good morning too.” I returned his greetings but with a trace of timid in it.

He was still in his night shirt and pants, also barefooted as he stared at me like for a minute but soon he withdrew his gaze and proceeded to look around the room.

“Where is your father?” he asked.

“He is out for a hunt. He will be gone for the whole day.” I replied after taking the steaming tea kettle from the stove before pouring hot coffee in two coffee mugs. I served him the coffee.

“He’s a hunter? What does he hunt?” he asked again while taking a small sip of his coffee.

“Yes he is. There are a lot of animals he hunt such as coyotes, deer, rabbits and bears. He sells them for additional income although sometimes he takes it home for food. Besides he enjoys hunting more than anyone because that’s the man he is.” I said.

I drank my coffee while cooking bacons and eggs that it took me a while to feel intense eyes on me, I looked over my shoulder and there I met his amused stare.

“Is something the matter?” I inquired confused.

He chuckled. “No it’s nothing. I just enjoyed listening to your voice. Its charming.” he claimed with a smile and it aroused heat into my face.