Act 1: Attending A Disaster

Day 1 – 18:23; Los Angeles, CA United States:

I awaken from an unconscious state, in no clothing but pants. I cannot remember anything that had occurred in the time that had recently gone by. All I know is that I had blacked out, at some point. I can feel a huge knot on my head, as if I had bumped it on a hard surface, very roughly, but it doesn't hurt at all. I examine my surroundings. I'm lying against a tub with a shower curtain laying in my hand and spread across the floor, as though it had been forced down from the place on the shower, where it once was. After looking around the bathroom I am apparently in, I rise to my feet and go to open the door to leave.

I attempt to twist the door knob, but it appears to be locked; however a small effort of pushing causes the door itself to slowly swing open, on its own. I leave the bathroom and continue down a hallway, eventually coming across a thermostat on the wall. I scrutinize it, then admire my surroundings. The thermostat isn't working, and no lights are on in the house. The power must be out in this place. I leave this confusion behind and continue on down the unknown hall.

I see an open door and go to check it out. It appears to be a master bedroom. I'm in someone's house, but I don't know who's house it could be. I walk around, examining the bedroom I have found. As I look, I begin to get this strange, familiar feeling, like déjà vu. It's as if deep down, I know exactly where I am.

I struggle to remember what had happened to me before I was locked in that bathroom.

Where am I at, exactly?

Suddenly, I bump into some things that are enormous on the floor. They hit my feet, so I begin to stumble, but I catch myself and keep myself from falling completely. As I get back up all the way, I look to see what it is that I had tripped on. I am astonished to see that they are seemingly dead bodies that had been severely mutilated. With a closer look, I am able to identify the bodies.

My heartbeat starts pounding in my head, as my mind begins to go insane. I start to feel cold and shiver all over. I back away slowly from the bodies, wanting to turn and run, but I can't move much before I fall on the floor on my backside. Tears form and pour from my broken eyes because I have realized that the dead bodies before me... are my own parents.

This is their house that I'm in...

I scream in agony and drop my body completely to the floor beside my parents' corpses. I crawl over to the wall and sit with my back against it and my head buried in my arms and knees, waiting on myself to calm down from the horror that I have discovered. I'm gripping the cross attached to the necklace around my neck in my hand so tightly, it could almost break the skin.

Several minutes pass, and I finally calm down.

I have to get out of my parents' house and find out what's going on, on the outside.

I get to my feet and run out of the bedroom. A short distance from my parents' bedroom, the house is becoming very dark; too dark, really, to see anything, so I quickly run back to their room and search for a flashlight. After good, thorough searching, I find a heavy duty flashlight, and fortunately, it works great. I leave the room and use the flashlight's bright shine to find my way to the front door of my home. I arrive at the front door, but it appears to be blocked by fallen debris, and above it, there is a hole in the ceiling that leads to the outside, but there's no way for me to reach it. Since I cannot escape, I quickly try to find another way out. I look over and see a window, so I run to it and peek out. I could have used it to escape, but the window is sealed tight. I assume the rest of the windows are also sealed. I wallop the window, many times, with the flashlight, until it busts open. Peering outside, trying to come up with an escape plan, I am blown away at the sight of some of the ground gone. I cannot just climb out because the drop would be too far. However, next to this house is another that could, possibly, not have its exit blocked. That house also has windows that are almost nothing but glass.