7.2 | Dawn We Now Our Gay Apparel

"Wow!" Mr. Wheeler commended after Ben had showed him one of his routines, flipping around a bottle of liquor, rolling it down his arm and into a glass. Ben was stationed at his post behind the bar while Mr. Wheeler and Cassie sat on the stools opposite of him. "You're really good at this, Ben Ben!"

"He's definitely a favorite here." Cassie told Mr. Wheeler, smiling brightly at Ben, which Mr. Wheeler noticed.

"Speaking of favorites... you and mom? So? Huh? Well? See?" Ben said suggestively.

"I won't lie, it was really good to see your mom again." Ray admitted.

"I don't wanna be one of those "maybe mommy and daddy are getting back together" kids, but maybe mommy and daddy are getting back together?"

"Ben, I'm sorry, but I just don't think that's going happen. Ever." Mr. Wheeler insisted to his son, who seemed disappointed.

"But--"

"Ben, give it a rest." Cassie said gingerly, reaching across the bar and gently laying her hand on Ben's wrist. She retracted her hand and glanced at the time. "Well, I have to go. I got a role in one of those cheesy murder investigation shows. I'm pretty sure I did it." Cassie joked as she slid off her seat. "I'll see you both later." Ben and Ray said goodbye as she left the bar, Ben's eyes following her, as if in admiration. Mr. Wheeler noticed this, as well.

"You two... you're not a 'thing,' are you?" Ray wondered, raising an eyebrow at his son.

"Me and Cassie? No, she's just my best friend." He assured his father, casually returning to mix a drink but Ray was clearly still suspicious.

"Uh-huh." He breathed disbelievingly.

"I'm serious, dad." Ben insisted.

"Well, I always liked that girl. Don't tell your mother, but I did always want a girl, too, and Cassie was the closest I ever got to a daughter. You know, other than when your mother dressed you up in godawful dresses when you were a baby." Ray reminisced, snickering as he shook his head. "You still got that crush on her?"

"I don't know if I'd really call it a 'crush' anymore." Ben responded, straightening a few glasses on the counter.

"You don't have feelings for her anymore?"

"Kind of the opposite, actually." Ben replied honestly. "I'm in love with her, Dad." Ben said, his face falling.

"Why do you say it like that? Like you're telling me your dog just died?" Ray wondered.

"Because she doesn't feel the same about me."

"And how do you know that? Has she told you?" Ray quizzed. "Ben, can I give you some advice?" Ben nodded and stopped working for a moment to listen to his father. "You don't let a person like that slip away. If you love her, tell her. That's what I did."

"And it worked?"

"Like a charm."

"But Cassie is so different from mom, and yours and mom's relationship isn't exactly the glimmering image I have in my mind."

"Actually, son... I wasn't talking about your mother." Ray said gently.

"Wait..." He started, trailing off.
"I'm seeing someone." Mr. Wheeler exposed.

"You are?" Ben asked, a little taken aback since he had been so caught up in the idea of his parents getting back together. He was sure after how Ray had suggested him and Bonnie spend some time together that he was seeking a renewal of their relationship. "But you and Mom are about to get back together!"